Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Javier Ramos <ra...@parsec.es> on 2004/08/18 11:30:16 UTC

Trying to compile under Red Hat

Hi,

    I am very interested in getting Xalan C++ libraries to work under some Red Hat 7.3 linux distribution.

    I tried to use the binaries provided in apache site, but they are compiled with the intel compiler. After managing to find the intel c runtime libraries and installing them, I managed to run the samples but then I realised that linking the libraries generated with the intel compiler with my gcc objects is not so straightforward. I couldn't manage to make it.

    So I thought I would rather compile xerces and xalan from source. I tried to do this in a RHL 7.3 box with gcc 2.96. Xerces compiles OK, but Xalan does not, the compiler crashes trying to make it.

    Then I thought maybe I should upgrade my servers to RHEL 3.0, or even try to make a library usable in RHL 7.3 from RHEL 3.0. So I tried to make it with gcc 3.2.3 under RHEL 3.0, and again Xerces compiles fine but Xalan generates heaps of warnings and in the end the build stops because of some errors ( I can attach las lines of gcc output if someone finds it useful ).

    So, my question is: has anyone managed to build Xalan from sources under some Red Hat version? Which one? Any tricky stuff needed to make it work?

    Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any replies,

Javier

Re: Trying to compile under Red Hat

Posted by da...@us.ibm.com.
> Hi,
>
> I am very interested in getting Xalan C++ libraries to work under some
Red Hat 7.3 linux distribution.

> I tried to use the binaries provided in apache site, but they are
compiled with the intel compiler. After
> managing to find the intel c runtime libraries and installing them, I
managed to run the samples but then
> I realised that linking the libraries generated with the intel compiler
with my gcc objects is not so
> straightforward. I couldn't manage to make it.

Yes, this won't work, unless you're using only C APIs.

> So I thought I would rather compile xerces and xalan from source. I
tried to do this in a RHL 7.3 box
> with gcc 2.96. Xerces compiles OK, but Xalan does not, the compiler
crashes trying to make it.

GCC 2.96 is not a true GCC release.  It's buggy and you shouldn't use it
for production code.

> Then I thought maybe I should upgrade my servers to RHEL 3.0, or even
try to make a library usable
> in RHL 7.3 from RHEL 3.0. So I tried to make it with gcc 3.2.3 under
RHEL 3.0, and again Xerces
> compiles fine but Xalan generates heaps of warnings and in the end the
build stops because of some
> errors ( I can attach las lines of gcc output if someone finds it useful
).

I build Xalan-C with gcc 3.2.3 regularly.  I don't know what these "heaps
of warnings" are, and you didn't attach any output, so it's hard to say
what's wrong.

> So, my question is: has anyone managed to build Xalan from sources under
some Red Hat version?
> Which one? Any tricky stuff needed to make it work?

Redhat 8 and 9.  RHEL 3.0.  Fedora core 1 and 2 are some Red Hat platform
I've used to build Xalan-C.

 >  Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any
replies,

Try re-sending the output, but paste the _relevant_ part of it into an
email.

Dave

Re: Trying to compile under Red Hat

Posted by Javier Ramos <ra...@parsec.es>.
Sorry, it was my mistake... now it compiles. However, with 2.96 is
impossible. I will have to upgrade. Thanks,

Javier