Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ga...@elegantinnovations.org on 2004/04/27 00:40:04 UTC

packaging related error on install

Hi,

I am working on creating a slackware package of subversion-1.0.0 on a
slack-9.1 base system.  Things look good until I get the the

  make DESTDIR=/tmp/package-subversion install

then I get an error from ld (see below for tail of output).

/* begin error output */
libtool: install: warning: relinking `mod_dav_svn.la'
(cd /tmp/subversion-1.0.0/subversion/mod_dav_svn; /bin/sh
/tmp/subversion-1.0.0/libtool --mode=relink gcc -g -O2 -g -O2 -pthread
-DNEON_ZLIB -DNEON_SSL -rpath /tmp/package-subversion/usr/lib/apache
-avoid-version -module -o mod_dav_svn.la activity.lo deadprops.lo
liveprops.lo log.lo merge.lo mod_dav_svn.lo repos.lo update.lo util.lo
version.lo ../../subversion/libsvn_repos/libsvn_repos-1.la
../../subversion/libsvn_fs/libsvn_fs-1.la
../../subversion/libsvn_delta/libsvn_delta-1.la
../../subversion/libsvn_subr/libsvn_subr-1.la @inst_prefix_dir@)
gcc -shared  activity.lo deadprops.lo liveprops.lo log.lo merge.lo
mod_dav_svn.lo repos.lo update.lo util.lo version.lo
-L/tmp/subversion-1.0.0/subversion/libsvn_subr/.libs
-L/tmp/subversion-1.0.0/subversion/libsvn_delta/.libs
-L/tmp/subversion-1.0.0/subversion/libsvn_fs/.libs -L/usr/lib
-lsvn_repos-1 -lsvn_fs-1 -lsvn_delta-1 -lsvn_subr-1      -pthread
-Wl,-soname -Wl,mod_dav_svn.so -o .libs/mod_dav_svn.so
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-slackware-linux/3.2.3/../../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin/ld:
cannot find -lsvn_repos-1
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
libtool: install: error: relink `mod_dav_svn.la' with the above command
before installing it
PATH="$PATH:/sbin" ldconfig -n /tmp/package-subversion/usr/lib/apache
Libraries have been installed in:
   /tmp/package-subversion/usr/lib/apache

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
     during execution
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
     during linking
   - use the `-Wl,--rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
   - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.
grep: /tmp/package-subversion/usr/lib/apache/mod_dav_svn.la: No such
file or directory
grep: /tmp/package-subversion/usr/lib/apache/mod_dav_svn.la: No such
file or directory
Warning!  dlname not found in
/tmp/package-subversion/usr/lib/apache/mod_dav_svn.la.
Assuming installing a .so rather than a libtool archive.
chmod 755 /tmp/package-subversion/usr/lib/apache/mod_dav_svn.so
chmod: failed to get attributes of
`/tmp/package-subversion/usr/lib/apache/mod_dav_svn.so': No such file or
directory
apxs:Error: Command failed with rc=65536
.
make: *** [install-mods-shared] Error 1
/* end error output */
--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer, Elegant Innovations

Re: packaging related error on install

Posted by ga...@elegantinnovations.org.
On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 07:48:33PM -0600, gadgeteer@elegantinnovations.org (gadgeteer@elegantinnovations.org) wrote:
> Oh.  I got it from a mirror (no, I don't know which one).  Ah, that's
> better.  A slightly different wording of the same error.

Doh!  Never mind.
I have not isolated what the cause was yet but something in the
tool chain, libraries, dependency packages is broken or missing.
--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer, Elegant Innovations
Founder, Bozeman Linux Users Group
(406) 581-0495

Re: packaging related error on install

Posted by ga...@elegantinnovations.org.
Thank you for the quick reply.

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 08:51:14PM -0400, John Peacock (jpeacock@rowman.com) wrote:
> gadgeteer@elegantinnovations.org wrote:
> >I am working on creating a slackware package of subversion-1.0.0 on a
> >slack-9.1 base system.
>
> Why? 1.0.2 is the current release
[...]

Oh.  I got it from a mirror (no, I don't know which one).  Ah, that's
better.  A slightly different wording of the same error.

> You also need to tell us whether you are building versus an existing Apache
> package (with apr and apr-util) or are you building against the in-tree apr
> and apr-util.  It would also help knowing what options you gave to
> configure.

A minty fresh OS install.  Building against httpd-2.0.49.  Here is the
options I gave to configure:

 ./configure --prefix=/usr \
            --enable-dso \
            --enable-swig-bindings=perl,python \
            --with-dbm=db4 \
            --with-berkeley-db=/usr \
            --with-editor=/usr/bin/vim \
            --with-apr=/usr \
            --with-ssl \
            --with-apr-util=/usr

> I suspect that not many people are building using DESTDIR (except possibly
> the RPM-based packages), so it is not likely to be a well exercised code
> path.

Excellent.  An opprotunity to hunt for bugs (once I get a handle on
actually building svn).

cheers,

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
gadgeteer@elegantinnovations.org wrote:
> I am working on creating a slackware package of subversion-1.0.0 on a
> slack-9.1 base system.

Why? 1.0.2 is the current release and it has bug fixes which users might enjoy
having? ;~)  There may even be bugfixes which will solve _your_ problem.  The
first thing you should try is moving to the current release.

You also need to tell us whether you are building versus an existing Apache
package (with apr and apr-util) or are you building against the in-tree apr and
apr-util.  It would also help knowing what options you gave to configure.

I suspect that not many people are building using DESTDIR (except possibly the
RPM-based packages), so it is not likely to be a well exercised code path.

HTH

John

--
John Peacock