Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jamie Krasnoo <jk...@socal.rr.com> on 2001/06/14 11:14:15 UTC

Best way to attach a module to /

What is the best way to attach a module to be run when a user first enters
the site?

use LocationMatch and set it to only match / as in ^/$ ?

Thanks,

Jamie Krasnoo
jkrasnoo@socal.rr.com

Re: Best way to attach a module to /

Posted by Thomas Klausner <do...@zsi.at>.
Hi!

On 14 Jun 2001, at 14:03, Andrew Ho wrote:
> JK>What is the best way to attach a module to be run when a user first
> JK>enters the site?
> GED>Can you be a bit more specific?

> I think the question is better phrased by the subject, "how can I
> use mod_perl to handle all requests?"
> ..

This works also:

<Location />
SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler My::Module
</Location>

I think you can use this to "unset" mod_perl:
(I've seen it on the list but didn't try it ..)

<Location /images/>
SetHandler default
</Location>

--
D_omm
O_xyderkes         http://domm.zsi.at

Re: Best way to attach a module to /

Posted by Andrew Ho <an...@tellme.com>.
Hello,

JK>What is the best way to attach a module to be run when a user first
JK>enters the site?

GED>Can you be a bit more specific?

I think the question is better phrased by the subject, "how can I
use mod_perl to handle all requests?"

This is less intuitive than the much more easily understandable "how can I
use mod_perl to handle a request for a certain URL?" In the latter case
you can use Apache::Registry (and associate it with LocationMatch or
FilesMatch or whatever) or an explicit handler. In the former case, it's
not as obvious.

One solution is to use a PerlTransHandler with a dispatch table in it. The
PerlTransHandler will be called on all requests, and you can inspect
$r->uri to see if you want to handle it. Return DECLINED if it's not
something you're interested in handling (say a /images URL); otherwise,
handle the request right away, internally redirect to another handler, or
just directly add the handlers you want down the chain.

Hope that helps--

Humbly,

Andrew

Andrew Ho               http://www.tellme.com/       andrew@tellme.com
Engineer                   info@tellme.com          Voice 650-930-9062
Tellme Networks, Inc.       1-800-555-TELL            Fax 650-930-9101

Re: Best way to attach a module to /

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Jamie Krasnoo wrote:

> What is the best way to attach a module to be run when a user first
> enters the site?

Can you be a bit more specific?

73,
Ged.