Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2003/08/14 05:45:34 UTC

[STATUS] (httpd-2.0) Wed Aug 13 23:45:34 EDT 2003

APACHE 2.0 STATUS:                                              -*-text-*-
Last modified at [$Date: 2003/08/13 21:14:13 $]

Release:

    2.0.48  : in development
    2.0.47  : released July 09, 2003 as GA.
    2.0.46  : released May 28, 2003 as GA.
    2.0.45  : released April 1, 2003 as GA.
    2.0.44  : released January 20, 2003 as GA.
    2.0.43  : released October 3, 2002 as GA.
    2.0.42  : released September 24, 2002 as GA.
    2.0.41  : rolled September 16, 2002.  not released.
    2.0.40  : released August 9, 2002 as GA.
    2.0.39  : released June 17, 2002 as GA.
    2.0.38  : rolled June 16, 2002.  not released.
    2.0.37  : rolled June 11, 2002.  not released.
    2.0.36  : released May 6, 2002 as GA.
    2.0.35  : released April 5, 2002 as GA.
    2.0.34  : tagged March 26, 2002.
    2.0.33  : tagged March 6, 2002.  not released.
    2.0.32  : released Feburary 16, 2002 as beta.
    2.0.31  : rolled Feburary 1, 2002.  not released.
    2.0.30  : tagged January 8, 2002.  not rolled.
    2.0.29  : tagged November 27, 2001.  not rolled.
    2.0.28  : released November 13, 2001 as beta.
    2.0.27  : rolled November 6, 2001
    2.0.26  : tagged October 16, 2001.  not rolled.
    2.0.25  : rolled August 29, 2001
    2.0.24  : rolled August 18, 2001
    2.0.23  : rolled August 9, 2001
    2.0.22  : rolled July 29, 2001
    2.0.21  : rolled July 20, 2001
    2.0.20  : rolled July 8, 2001
    2.0.19  : rolled June 27, 2001
    2.0.18  : rolled May 18, 2001
    2.0.17  : rolled April 17, 2001
    2.0.16  : rolled April 4, 2001
    2.0.15  : rolled March 21, 2001
    2.0.14  : rolled March 7, 2001
    2.0a9   : released December 12, 2000
    2.0a8   : released November 20, 2000
    2.0a7   : released October 8, 2000
    2.0a6   : released August 18, 2000
    2.0a5   : released August 4, 2000
    2.0a4   : released June 7, 2000
    2.0a3   : released April 28, 2000
    2.0a2   : released March 31, 2000
    2.0a1   : released March 10, 2000

Please consult the following STATUS files for information
on related projects:

    * srclib/apr/STATUS
    * srclib/apr-util/STATUS
    * docs/STATUS

Contributors looking for a mission:

    * just do an egrep on "TODO", "XXX" and see what's there

RELEASE SHOWSTOPPERS:

PATCHES TO PORT FROM 2.1
  [ please place file names and revisions from HEAD here, so it is easy to
    identify exactly what the proposed changes are! ]

    * Correct the code in ap_check_cache_feshness to check max_age, smax_age,
      and expires correctly. This is a RFC 2616 compliance issue.
      http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-2.0/modules/experimental/cache_util.c.diff?r1=1.26&r2=1.27
      +1: rederpj

    * mod_rewrite.c: Fix mod_rewrite's support of the [P] option to send
      rewritten request using "proxy:". The code was adding multiple "proxy:"
      fields in the rewritten URI. PR: 13946.
      http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-2.0/modules/mappers/mod_rewrite.c.diff?r1=1.153&r2=1.154
      http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-2.0/modules/mappers/mod_rewrite.c.diff?r1=1.154&r2=1.155
      http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-2.0/modules/mappers/mod_rewrite.c.diff?r1=1.156&r2=1.157
      http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-2.0/modules/mappers/mod_rewrite.c.diff?r1=1.173&r2=1.174
      +1: rederpj, nd

    * Replace some of the mutex locking in the worker MPM with
      atomic operations for higher concurrency.
      server/mpm/worker/fdqueue.c 1.24, 1.25
      +1: brianp
      -0: trawick  These gcc warnings seem to point out uncleanness
                   that should be resolved first.  Perhaps "volatile"-ity
                   is inconsistent?  (gcc 3.2 on UL 1.0)
          fdqueue.c: In function `queue_info_cleanup':
          fdqueue.c:89: warning: passing arg 1 of `apr_atomic_casptr' from
                        incompatible pointer type
          fdqueue.c: In function `ap_queue_info_set_idle':
          fdqueue.c:142: warning: passing arg 1 of `apr_atomic_casptr' from
                         incompatible pointer type
          fdqueue.c: In function `ap_queue_info_wait_for_idler':
          fdqueue.c:232: warning: passing arg 1 of `apr_atomic_casptr' from
                         incompatible pointer type

    * Rewrite how proxy sends its request to allow input bodies to
      morph the request bodies.  Previously, if an input filter
      changed the request body, the original C-L would be sent which
      would be incorrect.

      Due to HTTP compliance, we must either send the body T-E: chunked
      or include a C-L for the request body.  Connection: Close is not
      an option. [jerenkrantz    2002/12/08 21:37:27]
      +1: stoddard, striker, jim
      -1: brianp (we need a more robust solution than what's in 2.1 right now),
          jerenkrantz (should be fixed, but I don't have time to do this)

    * Extend the SetEnvIf directive to capture subexpressions of the
      matched value. This is related to the backport proposal below ... ;-)
      modules/metadata/mod_setenvif.c r1.42
      +1: nd

    * Allow mod_dav to do weak entity comparison functions.
      modules/dav/main/util.c: r1.45
      [ This one is under review.  Don't merge.  ]
      +1:

    * mod_negotiation: parse quality values independent from
      the current locale and level values as integers. PR 17564.
      (essentially: get a rid of atof()) (2.0 + 1.3)
      modules/mappers/mod_negotiation.c: r1.114
      +1: nd
         We need to decide what happens with unparsable qvalues. RFC 2616
         states that q defaults to 1. (see 14.1 - 14.4). So should wrong
         qvalues be returned as 1.0 or 0.0 (as atof() did)?
         1.0: nd
         0.0: jim (a default != an "errored" value)

    * Keep the same SSLMutex for the lifetime of the parent process
      (instead of having children using different mutexes and failing
      to lock the session cache across restarts.)
      New patch forthcoming - JimJag's changes make the merge ugly.
      +1: wrowe
      +1 (concept): jim (final vote when the patch is available)

    * Fix the SSLMutex config parser so that all 'mechanisms' can take
      a filename, even if ignored, and they are rooted to the full path
      to the server (except for posixsem locks).  This allows a very
      cross-platform default:logs/ssl_mutex to be used everywhere.  Also
      eliminates the '.pid' suffix so that the name given is the name.
      Allows Win32 and other non-unicies to use named locks.
      New patch forthcoming - JimJag's changes make the merge ugly.
      +1: wrowe
      +1 (concept): jim (final vote when the patch is available)

    * Ensure that ssl-std.conf is generated at configure time, and switch
      to using the expanded config variables to work the same as
      httpd-std.conf PR: 19611
      (this requires deleting ssl-std.conf and replacing it with an autogen'd
      one)
      configure.in: r1.250
      docs/conf/ssl-std.conf.in: r1.1,1.2
      +1: thommay, jerenkrantz, striker, jim, nd, trawick
          nd: The runtime files (e.g. cache) should be in runtimedir, since the
              logfilefir should not be writable for the httpd user.

	  thommay: In principle I agree; however I was going for the principle
	           of least surprise - the new version uses exactly the same
		   settings as the old one. If we want to change the locations
		   I'm quite happy to do that but don't think that should
		   affect backporting this fix.

          nd: Actually I see no problem with surprises. If someone uses this
              tailored example config, it's probably his first SSL config. If
              it's not his first one, he probably doesn't care about - IMHO :)
              An appropriate change-log entry should warn the rest of the
              people, shouldn't it?

          trawick: existing configs shouldn't be overwritten, new configs
              should default to our best available recommendation

          thommay: can't argue with this, commited.

          nd: thx.:)

    * mod_ssl: Drop SSL_EXPERIMENTAL_ENGINE test in favor of testing for the
      ENGINE_init() function in config.m4, and use HAVE_ENGINE_INIT instead.
      wrowe notes that this feature is a noop until configured with SSLEngine.
      http://www.apache.org/~wrowe/have_engine_init.patch for a clean 2.0 patch.
      modules/ssl/README 1.40
      modules/ssl/config.m4 1.14
      modules/ssl/mod_ssl.c 1.79
      modules/ssl/mod_ssl.h 1.135
      modules/ssl/ssl_engine_config.c 1.78
      modules/ssl/ssl_engine_init.c 1.113
      modules/ssl/ssl_toolkit_compat.c 1.33
      +0: wrowe {Pending research into how to get AC to use -lsockets et. al.,
                 shows breakage on Solaris which can't -lcrypto -lssl without
                 the extra pkgconfig/openssl.pc Libs: * foo }

    * Unix: Handle permissions settings for flock-based mutexes in
      unixd_set_global|proc_mutex_perms().  Allow the functions to
      be called for any type of mutex.  PR 20312
        modules/mappers/mod_rewrite.c 1.153
        modules/ssl/mod_ssl.h 1.136
        modules/ssl/ssl_engine_config.c 1.81
        modules/ssl/ssl_engine_mutex.c 1.26
        os/unix/unixd.c 1.58
        os/unix/unixd.h 1.38
        +1: trawick, jerenkrantz

    * Backport wildcard ExpiresByType from 2.0.46
      +1: ken, stoddard

    * mod_cgid: Restart the cgid daemon if it crashes.  PR 19849
        modules/generators/mod_cgid.c 1.152
        +1: trawick, gregames, stoddard
        oops, 2 problems to deal with:
        a) patch relies on worker MPM behavior of
           ap_graceful_stop_signalled(), which is to return true if
           MPM is exiting (whether stop or restart or graceful)
        b) maybe not the fault of this patch, but on Linux the parent
           gets knocked out after a couple of segfaults in cgid

    * ab: catch out of memory (reasoning report ID 29)
        support/ab.c: r1.125
      +1: nd, erikabele
       0: trawick, who is not about to stand in anybody's way on this,
          but has two comments nonetheless:
          a) with no abort function specified for the pools, this is just
             one of many possible failures
          b) my guess is that a heap shortage encountered by ab is
             much more likely to be caused by an ab bug instead of by a
             user setup error (ulimit) or system resource shortage...
             is an error message better than a coredump in that case?

          nd: hmm. This one is a pure (and obvious) malloc. Once we may
              decide to use a pool-abort_fn; then the situation turns
              around... :)
              Yes, I think, a useful error message is better than
              a coredump in this case.

    * httpd-std.conf: Try to be clearer in describing the connection
      between AddType and AddEncoding for defining the meaning of
      compressed file extensions.  Follows mime.types change above.
        docs/conf/httpd-std.conf.in: r1.47, 1.53
        docs/conf/httpd-win.conf:    r1.93
      jerenkrantz asks: Why does httpd-std.conf.in have two copies of the
                        AddEncoding directives?  This is a typo, right?
            nd replies: Sure. 1.53 fixes that.
      +1: fielding, nd, jerenkrantz, erikabele

    * mod_ssl: Fix a problem setting variables that represent the
      client certificate chain.  PR 21397
        modules/ssl/ssl_engine_vars.c:  r1.24
      +1: trawick, nd

    * mod_ssl: Fix segfaults after renegotiation failure.  PR 21370
        modules/ssl/ssl_engine_io.c:  r1.110
        modules/ssl/ssl_engine_kernel.c: r1.196
      +1: trawick

    * use the appropriate folder icon, even if there's a directoryindex
      listed file in the particular folder. PR 9587
        modules/generators/mod_autoindex.c r1.120
      +1: nd, trawick

    * ab: Handle conditions where connect() on non-blocking socket
      doesn't complete immediately (i.e., restore functionality when
      benchmarking non-local targets).  This doesn't resolve some
      serious flaws in state-handling within ab; it is simply a
      minimal change to get it going again, as fixing it correctly is
      potentially destabilizing and may take some iterations in
      2.1-dev before it is ready for prime time.
        support/ab.c: r1.128
      +1: trawick, stoddard

    * mod_rewrite: more or less cosmetic fix. If a .htaccess in DocumentRoot
      configures:
        RewriteBase /
        RewriteRule foo bar [R]
      it will be redirected to http://host//bar (double slash).
      In 2.1 this was fixed while I rewrote the subst_prefix_path function,
      which is responsible for this behaviour. I'd suggest to backport that
      function rewrite at all (it's even much better code :-). (2.0 + 1.3)
        modules/mappers/mod_rewrite.c: r1.162
      +1: nd, trawick

    * Install config.nice to make minor version upgrades easier.
        Makefile.in: r1.136
      +1: slive, trawick, erikabele

    * mod_rewrite: cause a lookup failure in external rewrite maps if
      the key contains a newline. PR 14453. (2.0 + 1.3)
        modules/mappers/mod_rewrite.c: r1.199
      +1: nd, trawick

    * mod_dav: Use bucket brigades when reading PUT data. This avoids
      problems if the data stream is modified by an input filter. PR 22104.
        modules/dav/main/mod_dav.c: r1.98, r1.99
      +1: nd, trawick
      (gstein likes the concept, but needs to review...)

    * fix extern "C" declaration of util_ebcdic.h. PR: 22203
        include/util_ebcdic.h: r1.15
      +1: nd, trawick

    * Avoid an infinite recursion, which occured if the name of an included
      config file or directory contained a wildcard character. PR 22194.
      (2.0 + 1.3)
        server/config.c: r1.165
      +1: nd, trawick

    * mod_ssl: fix a link failure when the openssl-engine libraries are
      present but the engine headers are missing.
        modules/ssl/mod_ssl.c: r1.87
        modules/ssl/mod_ssl.h: r1.139
        modules/ssl/ssl_engine_config.c: r1.82
      +1: jwoolley

CURRENT RELEASE NOTES:

    * Backwards compatibility is expected of future Apache 2.0 releases,
      such that no MMN major number changes will occur until 2.1.

    * All commits to APACHE_2_0_BRANCH must be reflected in cvs HEAD
      as well, if they apply.  Logical progression is commit to HEAD,
      get feedback and then commit to APACHE_2_0_BRANCH.

CURRENT VOTES:

    * Promote mod_cache from experimental to non-experimental
      status (keep issues noted below in EXPERIMENTAL MODULES as
      items to be addressed as a supported module).
      +1: jim, stoddard, bnicholes

    * APACHE_2_0_BRANCH *has* to work with an official stable version
      of APR (i.e., 1.0).
      yes:
      no:   trawick, jerenkrantz, wrowe, stoddard, striker, nd, gregames
        wrowe: it's nice if we *can* compile against it, but as a
               matter of a practical tarball or binary release, don't.
        gstein: the Q is unclear. of course it has to work with an
                official version. maybe the Q is really "we *require*
                a stable version" ?

    * APACHE_2_0_BRANCH uses a level of apr and apr-util code branched
      from the APACHE_2_0_44 tag.
      yes:   trawick, jerenkrantz, striker, nd, gregames
        (but nd doesn't branch anything in apr repos)
      no:    wrowe
        (objection remains the same, APR 0.9 is pretty much in 'bugfix'
         mode, all such bugfixes are helpful to the httpd project; some
         on the APR list have suggested branching APR 0.10.x when some
         new code comes along.  Again, wrowe suggests the option below
         is sufficient as long as eyeballs remain on binary compat.)

    * APACHE_2_0_BRANCH uses a level of APR code versioned 0.9.2-dev
        or later (to 0.9.9), so long it remains binary compatible.
      yes:   wrowe
      no:
        (wrowe suggests that when apr chooses to break compatibility,
         httpd would continue to use that last compatible build.  It's
         in the httpd project's interest to participate instead of fork
         APR efforts.)

    * Develop in Review-Then-Commit or Commit-Then-Review mode
      on APACHE_2_0_BRANCH (no vetoes, this is a straight vote.)
       R-T-C:   trawick, wrowe, jerenkrantz, stoddard, rederpj, striker, nd,
                gregames(lazy consensus OK for mainline), jwoolley
       Abstain:
       C-T-R:   BrianP, aaron, jim, gstein, bnicholes, minfrin

       gstein: we have an open branch, so there is an easy release
               valve for feature and API changes. we trust developers
               to put their changes in the right place. if they
               *don't*, that is what the -T-R is all about, and why we
               have source control.

               yes, the branch should be "bug fix only" or other
               voted-upon feature changes, but we already have
               guidelines for all that.

                 http://httpd.apache.org/dev/guidelines.html

               see the section titled "Product Changes" and the
               following paragraph which states:

               "... All product changes to a prior-branch (old
               version) repository require consensus before the change
               is committed."

               And under "When to Commit a Change", first line:

               "Ideas must be review-then-commit; patches can be
               commit-then-review."

               The problem here is that R-T-C expresses a fundamental
               DISTRUST of your peers. We had problems stabilizing the
               code simply because there are numerous interests in the
               codebase, and those are not fully compatible. With the
               branch, we have partitioned the interest: bug fix vs
               new features. But developers *know* when a bug fix
               should be applied or should not. There is no reason to
               tell a developer they are wrong, and their basic
               understanding of what is broken and what needs to be
               fixed is subject to peer review. Once you have a bug
               fix in hand, it isn't rocket science. And, always,
               there is the option to pull a fix back out if a
               developer goofs. We all goof, but there is no sense in
               ASSUMING that incorrect behavior is the norm.

               If a develop consistently causes problems, then we have
               ways of dealing with that. But at the moment, this
               isn't the case, and it does not foster a healthy
               environment to apply that label to ALL developers.
               R-T-C is fundamentally "you're guilty of bad behavior,
               with no way to prove innocence. all your actions are
               hereby monitored."

               Why did I wait so long to issue this commentary? Simply
               because I disagreed with it at such a fundamental level
               that I didn't want to deal with it. Also, that I
               *wasn't* going to deal with it when I had changes to
               commit. But now we're seeing this stupid R-T-C hammer
               being used to smack developers over the head. That is
               inappropriate when the bug fixes they are committing to
               the branch are entirely reasonable and appropriate. The
               hammer simply should not exist.

               Yes, I'm ranting, and hey, I'm even sober. :-) R-T-C is
               Badness. If I could veto the policy, I would. If I can
               ignore it, I will. For years, this group was built on
               the notion of peer respect and trust. R-T-C destroys
               that, and makes the environment less cozy and less
               inviting. Our polcies and procedures were designed to
               operate successfully in a C-T-R environment; there is
               no need for such a draconian policy.

               Bleh.

       minfrin: I see no point in adding any bureaucracy between a bug
                and its fix.

    * httpd-std.conf and friends;

      a) httpd-std.conf should be tailored by install (from src or
         binbuild) even if user has existing httpd.conf
         +1:   trawick, slive, gregames, ianh, Ken, wrowe, jwoolley, jim, nd,
               erikabele
           wrowe - prefer httpd.default.conf to avoid ambiguity with cvs,
                   note that win32 installer creates just that file
                   (.default.conf rather than .conf.default so that win32
                    can recognize .conf files as text configuration files.)

      b) tailored httpd-std.conf should be copied by install to
         sysconfdir/examples
         -0:   striker

      c) tailored httpd-std.conf should be installed to
         sysconfdir/examples or manualdir/exampleconf/
         +1:   slive, trawick, Ken, nd (prefer the latter), erikabele

      d) tailored httpd-std.conf should be installed as httpd-std-<version>.conf.
         +1:   striker

      e) Installing a set of default config files when upgrading a server
         doesn't make ANY sense at all.
         +1:   ianh - medium/big sites don't use 'standard config' anyway, as it
                      usually needs major customizations
         -1:   Ken, wrowe, jwoolley, jim, nd, erikabele
           wrowe - diff is wonderful when comparing old/new default configs,
                   even for customized sites that ianh mentions
           jim - it makes sense assuming that the default configs
                 include the updated directives and inline comments
                 that explain the changes and make the 'diff' more useful.

    * If the parent process dies, should the remaining child processes
      "gracefully" self-terminate. Or maybe we should make it a runtime
      option, or have a concept of 2 parent processes (one being a
      "hot spare").
      See: Message-ID: <3C...@Golux.Com>

      Self-destruct: Ken, Martin
      Not self-destruct: BrianP, Ian, Cliff, BillS
      Make it runtime configurable: Aaron, Justin, wrowe, rederpj, jim, nd

      /* The below was a concept on *how* to handle the problem */
      Have 2 parents: +1: jim
                      -1: Justin, wrowe, rederpj, nd
                      +0: Martin (while standing by, could it do
                                  something useful?)

    * Make the worker MPM the default MPM for threaded Unix boxes.
      +1:   Justin, Ian, Cliff, BillS, striker
      +0:   BrianP, Aaron (mutex contention is looking better with the
            latest code, let's continue tuning and testing), rederpj, jim
      -0:   Lars, wrowe (let's make this defacto for the 2.2 release.),
            nd (for 2.0)

RELEASE NON-SHOWSTOPPERS BUT WOULD BE REAL NICE TO WRAP THESE UP:

    * mod_ssl: We twiddle status bits rather than calling SSL_renegotiate
      to unset the current negotiation status.  This especially affects
      sslc users who can't touch these internal bits (nor should OpenSSL
      based apps do so.)  Flipping to SSL_renegotiate causes us to start
      failing perl-framework tests.  Needs some further research.
        http://www.apache.org/~wrowe/ssl_renegotiate.patch for a clean 2.0 patch,
        or for httpd-2.1 refer to:
        modules/ssl/config.m4 1.15
        modules/ssl/ssl_engine_io.c 1.08
        modules/ssl/ssl_engine_kernel.c 1.93
        modules/ssl/ssl_toolkit_compat.c 1.34

    * There is a bug in how we sort some hooks, at least the pre-config
      hook.  The first time we call the hooks, they are in the correct
      order, but the second time, we don't sort them correctly.  Currently,
      the modules/http/config.m4 file has been renamed to
      modules/http/config2.m4 to work around this problem, it should moved
      back when this is fixed.

        OtherBill offers that this is a SERIOUS problem.  We do not sort
        correctly by the ordering arguments passed to the register hook
        functions.  This was proven when I reordered the open_logs hook
        to attempt to open the error logs prior to the access logs.  Possibly
        the entire sorting code needs to be refactored.

    * pipes deadlock on all platforms with limited pipe buffers (e.g. both
      Linux and Win32, as opposed to only Win32 on 1.3).  The right solution
      is either GStein's proposal for a "CGI Brigade", or OtherBill's proposal
      for "Poll Buckets" for "Polling Filter Chains".  Or perhaps both :-)

    * All handlers should always send content down even if r->header_only
      is set.  If not, it means that the HEAD requests don't generate the
      same headers as a GET which is wrong.

    * HP/UX 10.20: compile breakage in APR.  Looks like it should be easy
      to fix, probably just some extraneous #include's that are fouling
      things up.
      PR: 9457
      Jeff: See my reply and patch in the PR (and previous commit to
      stop using "pipe" as a field name).  If patch is committed, we
      should be okay.  I'll wait to see if the user tests the patch.
      Update by Jeff 20020722: I got an account on HP 10.20.  It looks
      like some of the APR thread detection is screwed up.  If we find
      pthread.h but we can't compile the pthread test program we still
      think we can use threads.  For that reason, the patch I posted
      to the PR won't work as-is since a failed compile of the test
      program means nothing.

    * exec cmd and suexec arg-passing enhancements
      (see the "proc.patch" and "suexec-shell.patch" links in this message)

    * The 2.0.36 worker MPM graceless shutdown changes work but are
      a bit clunky on some platforms; eg, on Linux, the loop to
      join each worker thread seems to hang, and the parent ends up
      killing off the child with SIGKILL.  But at least it shuts down.

    * --enable-mods-shared="foo1 foo2" is busted on Darwin.  Pier
        posted a patch (Message-ID: <B8...@betaversion.org>).

    * We do not properly substitute the prefix-variables in the configuration
      scripts or generated-configs.  (i.e. if sysconfdir is etc,
      httpd-std.conf points to conf.)

    * If any request gets through ap_process_request_internal() and is
      scheduled to be served by the core handler, without a flag that this
      r->filename was tested by dir/file_walk, we need to 500 at the very
      end of the ap_process_request_internal() processing so sub_req-esters
      know this request cannot be run.  This provides authors of older
      modules better compatibility, while still improving the security and
      robustness of 2.0.

        [Deleted comments regarding the ap_run_handler phase, as irrelevant
            as BillS points out that "common case will be caught in
  	    default_handler already (with the r->finfo.filetype == 0 check)"
            and the issue is detecting this -before- we try to run the req.]

	gregames says: can this happen somehow without a broken module
            being involved?  If not, why waste cycles trying to defend against
            potential broken modules?  It seems futile.
        wrowe counters: no, it shouldn't happen unless the module is broken.
            But the right answer is to fail the request up-front in dir/file
            walk if the path was entirely invalid; and we can't do that either
            UNTIL 2.1 or we break modules that haven't hooked map_to_storage.

    * With AP_MODE_EXHAUSTIVE in the core, it is finally clear to me
      how the Perchild MPM should be re-written.  It hasn't worked
      correctly since filters were added because it wasn't possible to
      get the content that had already been written and the socket at
      the same time.  This mode lets us do that, so the MPM can be
      fixed.

    * htpasswd blindly processes the file you give it, and does no
      sanity checking before totally corrupting whatever file it was
      you thought you had. It should check the input file and bail
      if it finds non-comment lines that do not contain exactly 1
      ':' character.

    * Can a static httpd be built reliably?

    * [Ken] Test suite failures:
      o worker is also failing some of the 'cgi' subtests
      (see <URL:http://Source-Zone.Org/Apache/regression/>):
        Justin says: "Worker should be fine and passes httpd-test here.
                      I think it's a perl or a httpd-test problem."

    * Usage of APR_BRIGADE_NORMALIZE in core_input_filter should be
      removed if possible.
        Jeff wonders if we still care about this.  It is no longer an
        API issue but simply an extra trip through the brigade.

    * The Add...Filter and Set...Filter directives do not allow the
      administrator to order filters, beyond the order of filename (mime)
      extensions.  It isn't clear if Set...Filter(s) should be inserted
      before or after the Add...Filter(s) which are ordered by sequence of
      filename extensions.  At minimum, some sort of +-[0-10] syntax seems
      like a nice solution.  See ROADMAP.

    * Get perchild to work on platforms other than Linux. This
      will require a portable mechanism to pass data and file/socket
      descriptors between vhost child groups. An API was proposed
      on dev@apr:

    * Try to get libtool inter-library dependency code working on AIX.

      Justin says: If we get it working on AIX, we can enable this
                   on all platforms and clean up our build system
                   somewhat.
      Jeff says:   I thought I tested a patch for you sometime in
                   January that you were going to commit within a few
                   days.

    * Handling of %2f in URIs.  Currently both 1.3 and 2.0
      completely disallow %2f in the request URI path (see
      ap_unescape_url() in util.c).  It's permitted and passed
      through in the query string, however.  Roy says the
      original reason for disallowing it, from five years ago,
      was to protect CGI scripts that applied PATH_INFO to
      a filesystem location and which might be tricked by
      ..%2f..%2f(...).  We *should* allow path-info of the
      form 'http://foo.com/index.cgi/path/to/path%2finfo'.
      Since we've revamped a lot of our processing of path
      segments, it would be nice to allow this, or at least
      allow it conditionally with a directive.

        OtherBill adds that %2f as the SECOND character of a multibyte
        sequence causes the request to fail!  This happens notably in
        the ja-jis encoding.

      OtherBill is -0.5 for even considering this until 2.2 because
      it removes some protection we provided to third party modules
      that would mysteriously 'evaporate', exposing potential holes
      in security.  Putting this change into 2.1 development now (with
      strong warnings!) will give authors a chance to vet their code.

    * FreeBSD, threads, and worker MPM.  All seems to work fine
      if you only have one worker process with many threads.  Add
      a second worker process and the accept lock seems to be
      lost.  This might be an APR issue with how it deals with
      the child_init hook (i.e. the fcntl lock needs to be resynced).
      More examination and analysis is required.

      Aaron says: I spent some time disecting this and have come to
              the conclusion that it is not a problem in the worker MPM
              (or at least, it is not isolated to a problem in worker).
              I'll list some of the problems I'm seeing in case someone
              else wants to pick up where I've left off:
               - Delivery of just about any signal to one of the child
                 processes will send it into an infinite loop as well.
               - Even though the parent is spinning out of control,
                 at first the child or children will appear to work
                 properly. At times it is possible to get it into a state,
                 however, where a request will hang until another concurrent
                 request "kicks" the first, at which point the second will
                 hang. My theory is that this has to do with the
                 pthread_cond_*() implementation in FreeBSD, but it's still
                 possible that it is in APR.

      Justin adds: Oh, FreeBSD threads are implemented entirely with
                   select()/poll()/longjmp().  Welcome to the nightmare.
                   So, that means a ktrace output also has the thread
                   scheduling internals in it (since it is all the same to
                   the kernel).  Which makes it hard to distinguish between
                   our select() calls and their select() calls.
                   *bangs head on wall repeatedly*  But, some of the libc_r
                   files have a DBG_MSG #define.  This is moderately helpful
                   when used with -DNO_DETACH.  The kernel scheduler isn't
                   waking up the threads on a select().  Yum.  And, I bet
                   those decrementing select calls have to do with the
                   scheduler.  Time to brush up on our OS fundamentals.

    * There is increasing demand from module writers for an API
      that will allow them to control the server � la apachectl.
      Reasons include sole-function servers that need to die if
      an external dependency (e.g., a database) fails, et cetera.
      Perhaps something in the (ever more abused) scoreboard?

             On the other hand, we already have a pipe that goes between parent
             and child for graceful shutdown events, along with an API that
             can be used to send a message down that pipe.  In threaded MPMs,
             it is easy enough to make that one pipe be used for graceful
             and graceless events, and it is also easy to open that pipe
             to both parent and child for writing.  Then we just need to
             figure out how to do graceless on non-threaded MPMs.

    * Win32: Rotatelogs sometimes is not terminated when Apache
      goes down hard.  FirstBill was looking at possibly tracking the
      child's-child processes in the parent process.
        stoddard: Shared scoreboard might offer a good way for the parent
        to keep track of 'other child' processes and whack them if the child
        goes down.
        Other thoughts on walking the process chain using the NT kernel
        have also been proposed on APR.

    * Eliminate unnecessary creation of pipes in mod_cgid

    * Combine log_child and piped_log_spawn. Clean up http_log.c.
      Common logging API.

    * Win32: Migrate the MPM over to use APR thread/process calls. This
      would eliminate some code in the Win32 branch that essentially
      duplicates what is in APR.

    * There are still a number of places in the code where we are
      losing error status (i.e. throwing away the error returned by a
      system call and replacing it with a generic error code)

    * Mass vhosting version of suEXEC.

    * All DBMs suffer from confusion in support/dbmmanage (perl script) since
      the dbmmanage employs the first-matched dbm format.  This is not
      necessarily the library that Apache was built with.  Aught to
      rewrite dbmmanage upon installation to bin/ with the proper library
      for predictable mod_auth_dbm administration.
        Questions; htdbm exists, time to kill dbmmanage, or does it remain
                   useful as a perl dbm management example?  If we keep it,
                   do we address the issue above?

    * Integrate mod_dav.
        Some additional items remaining:
        - case_preserved_filename stuff
            (use the new canonical name stuff?)
        - find a new home for ap_text(_header)
        - is it possible to remove the DAV: namespace stuff from util_xml?

    * ap_core_translate() and its use by mod_mmap_static and mod_file_cache
      are a bit wonky.  The function should probably be exposed as a utility
      function (such as ap_translate_url2fs() or ap_validate_fs_url() or
      something).  Another approach would be a new hook phase after
      "translate" which would allow the module to munge what the
      translation has decided to do.

    * Explore use of a post-config hook for the code in http_main.c which
      calls ap_fixup_virutal_hosts(), ap_fini_vhost_config(), and
      ap_sort_hooks()  [to reduce the logic in main()]

    * read the config tree just once, and process N times (as necessary)
        OtherBill adds that the 'good' solution of three passes against the
        config tree within one read is the better solution, but breaks many
        modules.  Best left for 2.2?
        -0.5:  OtherBill

    * (possibly) use UUIDs in mod_unique_id and/or mod_usertrack

    * (possibly) port the bug fix for PR 6942 (segv when LoadModule is put
      into a VirtualHost container) to 2.0.

    * shift stuff to mod_core.h

    * callers of ap_run_create_request() should check the return value
      for failure (Doug volunteers)

    * Win32: Get Apache working on Windows 95/98. The following work
        (at least) needs to be done:
        - Document warning that OSR2 is required (for Crypt functions, in
        rand.c, at least.)  This could be resolved with an SSL library, or
        randomization in APR itself.
        - Bring the Win9xConHook.dll from 1.3 into 2.0 (no sense till it
        actually works) and add in a splash of Win9x service code.

    * Fix the worker MPM to use POD to kill child processes instead
      of ap_os_killpg, regardless of how they should die.

    * Scoreboard structures could be changed in the future such that
      proper alignment is not maintained, leading to segfaults on
      some systems.  Cliff posted a patch to deal with this issue but
      later recanted. See this message to dev@apr.apache.org:

TODO ISSUES REMAINING IN MOD_SSL:

    * In order to use a DSO version of mod_ssl we have to link with
      -lssl and -lcrypto. A workaround is in place right now where the
      entire EXTRA_LIBS macro is being appended to the objects list, but
      this is a hack. We should either revamp the APACHE_CHECK_SSL_TOOLKIT
      autoconf function or come up with some other autoconf checks to
      search for libssl and libcrypto and properly add them to mod_ssl's
      link flags.

    * SSL renegotiations in combination with POST request

    * Port or dispose all code inside #if 0...#endif blocks that remain
      from the porting effort.

    * Do we need SSL_set_read_ahead()?

    * the ssl_expr api is NOT THREAD SAFE.  race conditions exist:
       -in ssl_expr_comp() if SSLRequire is used in .htaccess
        (ssl_expr_info is global)
       -is ssl_expr_eval() if there is an error
        (ssl_expr_error is global)

    * SSLRequire directive (parsing of) leaks memory

    * Diffie-Hellman-Parameters for temporary keys are hardcoded in
      ssl_engine_dh.c, while the comment in ssl_engine_kernel.c says:
      "it is suggested that keys be changed daily or every 500
      transactions, and more often if possible."

    * ssl_var_lookup could be rewritten to be MUCH faster

    * CRL callback should be pluggable

    * session cache store should be pluggable

    * init functions should return status code rather than ssl_die()

    * ssl_engine_pphrase.c needs to be reworked so it is generic enough
      to also decrypt proxy keys

    * the shmcb code should just align its memory segment rather than
      jumping through all the "safe" memcpy and memset hoops

EXPERIMENTAL MODULES:

    Experimental modules should eventually be be promoted to fully supported
    status or removed from the repository entirely (ie, the 'experiment'
    failed). This section tracks what needs to happen to get the modules
    promoted to fully supported status.

    mod_cache/mod_mem_cache/mod_disk_cache:
    * mod_cache: handle cache_control: no_cache "field_name" to enable
      cacheing the response w/o header "field_name"
      See RFC2616 section 14.9.1

    * mod_cache: CacheEnable/CacheDisable should accept regular expressions.

    * mod_cache: Fix dependency on ATOMIC operators. Need
      APR_HAS_ATOMIC_* feature macros.

    * mod_disk_cache: Implement garbage collection

    * mod_mem_cache/mod_disk_cache: Need to be able to query cache
      status (num of entries, cache object properties, etc.).
      mod_status could be extended to query optional hooks defined
      by modules for the purpose of reporting module status.
      mod_cache (et. al.) could define optional hooks that are called
      to collect status.  Status should be queryable by
      HTTP or SNMP?

    * Enable mod_cache/mod_mem_cache/mod_disk_cache to handle
      multiviews

    * mod_mem_cache/mod_disk_cache: Complete implementing config
      directives (mod_disk_cache: CacheExpiryCheck and GC directives
      including CacheGc*, CacheSize, and, CacheTimeMargin)
      (mod_mem_cache: MCacheMaxObjectCount) and
      (mod_cache: CacheForceCompletion).

    * Fix RFC 2616 compliance issues. Including PRs: 15852, 15866,
      15868, 15869, 15870, 16133, 16135, 16136, 16521, 19441.

    mod_auth_ldap/util_ldap:
    * General stabilization and testing

PRs that have been suspended forever waiting for someone to
put them into 'the next release':

    * documentation and Q&A

      PR#2221: Make online documentation search link back to my installation
      PR#2906: Propose that Apache recommend $UNIQUE_ID for all "session id"
      algorithms
      PR#2793: When will Apache support P3P? Any Plans?
    * build

      PR#2113: HTTP Server Rebuild Line Needs Changing for the better
      PR#2421: problem specifying ndbm library for build ?with autoconfigure
    * config

      PR#76: missing call to "setlocale();"
      PR#628: Request of "Options SymLinksIfGroupMatch"
      PR#793: RLimitCPU and RLimitMEM don't apply to all children like they should
      PR#922:  it is useful to allow specifiction that root-owned symlinks
      should always be followed
      PR#1028: DoS attacks involving memory consumption
      PR#1191: setlogin() is not called, causing problems with e.g. identd
      PR#1204: regerror() exists, use it
      PR#2284: Can not POST to ErrorDocument - Apache/1.3b6
      PR#2396: Proposal for TimeZone directive
      PR#2446: AllowOverride FileInfo is too coarse
      PR#2760: [PATCH] User/Group for <Directory> and <Location> i.e. not only
      in global and <Virtual>.
      PR#2907: suggestion: power up your Include directive :)
      PR#3018: cannot limit some HTTP methods
      PR#3677: New ErrorDocumentMatch directive
      PR#4244: "Files" and "FilesMatch" regexp does not recognize bang as
      negation operator
      PR#5993: AllowOverride should have a 'CheckNone' and 'AllowNone' argument
      instead of only 'None'
    * mod_access

      PR#537: mod_access syntax allows hosts that should be restricted
      PR#1287: add allow,deny/deny,allow warning to mod_access
      PR#2512: <IfDenied> directive wanted
    * mod_auth-any

      PR#557: ~UserHome directories are not honored in absolute pathname
      requests (.htaccess)
      PR#1117: Using NIS passwd.byname dbm files with AuthDBMUserFile
      PR#1809: Suggestion for improving authentication modules and core source
      code, problem with 401 and ErrorDocument
    * mod_autoindex

      PR#1263: Add frame-safe anchor attribute to mod_autoindex links
    * mod_cgi (and suexec)

      PR#921: suexec Uses cwd before filling it in, doesn't use syslog
      PR#1176: Apache cannot handle continuation line in headers
      PR#1120: suexec does not parse arguments to #exec cmd
      PR#1268: CGI scripts running as Apache user: security (suexec etc.)
      PR#1285: Error messages could be easier to spot in cgi.log file for suexec.c
      PR#1905: suexec - Allow modules to set user:group for execution.
      PR#2360: suexec for general access of user content?
      PR#2460: TimeOut applies to output of CGI scripts
      PR#2573: CGI's for general use still have to be run as another user
      with suExec
      PR#4241: Need to be able to override shebang line to make CGI scripts
      more portable.
      PR#4490: mod_cgi prevents handling of OPTIONS requests
    * mod_env

      PR#370: Modified PATH environemnt variable is not passed, instead
      system's is used
    * mod_headers

      PR#1383: I make mod_headers to modify request headers as well as
      response ones.
      PR#1677: mod_headers should allow mod_log_config-style formats in
      header values
    * mod_imap

      PR#759: imap should read <MAP><AREA>*</MAP> too!
    * mod_include

      PR#78: Additional status for XBitHack directive
      PR#623: A smarter "Last Modified" value for SSI documents (see PR number 600)
      PR#1145: mod_include
      Allow for Last-Modified: without resorting to XBitHack
      PR#1803: patches to mod_include to allow for file tests
      PR#4459: Suggestion for better handling of Last-modified headers
    * mod_info

      PR#2415: /server-info doesn't check for the virtual host to list the info
    * mod_log-any

      PR#1050: Logging of virtual server to error_log as well
      PR#1358: Selective url-encode of log fields (or maybe a pseudo
      log_rewrite module?)
      PR#2073: pipelined connections are not logged correctly
      PR#4448: Please allow CGI env variables (QUERY_STRING, ...) to be logged
      with %{}e
    * mod_negotiation

      PR#3191: no way to set global quality-of-source (qs) coneg values
      with multiviews
    * mod_proxy

      PR#362: Mod_proxy doesn't allow change of error pages
      PR#440: Proxy doesn't deliver documents if not connected
      PR#534: proxy converts ~name to %7Ename when name starts with a dot (.)
      PR#612: Proxy FTP Authentication Fails
      PR#700: Proxy doesn't do links right for OpenVMS files through ftp:
      PR#980: Controlling Access to Remote Proxies would be nice...
      PR#994: Adding authentication "on the fly" through the proxy module
      PR#1085: ProxyRemote make a dead cycle.
      PR#1166: ``nph-'' not honored (no buffering) for ProxyRemote mapping
      PR#1290: Need to know "hit-rate" on proxy cache
      PR#1532: Proxy transfer logging
      PR#1547: No HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR set...
      PR#1567: ProxyRemote proxy requests fail authentication by firewall
      PR#1702: mod_proxy to support persistent conns?
      PR#1878: listing of proxy cache content
      PR#2314: patterns in ProxyRemote
      PR#2648: Cache file names in Proxy module
      PR#3568: Accessing URL through proxy server corrupts data.
      PR#3605: Some anonymous FTP URLs ask for authentication
    * mod_rewrite

      PR#1582: mod_rewrite forms REQUEST_URI different than mod_cgi does
      PR#2074: mod_rewrite doesn't pass Proxy Throughput on internal subrequests
    * mod_status

      PR#2138: mod_status always displays 256 possible connection slots
      PR#2343: Status module averages are for entire uptime
    * apache-api

      PR#1004: request_config field in request_rec is moderately bogus
      PR#1158: improvements to child spawning API
      PR#1233: there is no way to keep per-connection per-module state
      PR#2024: adding auth_why to conn_rec
      PR#2873: Feedback/Comment on APACI
      PR#3143: No module specific data hook for per-connection data
    * generally odds and ends

      PR#2431: A small addition to rotatelogs.c to improve program functionality.
      PR#2763: mailto tags and bundling bug report script
      PR#2785: os-aix Support for System Resource Controller
      PR#2889: Inclusion of RPM spec file in CVS/distributions
      PR#5713: os-windows [PATCH] install as win32 service with domain account
                user when -k install/-k config with a user argument.

Other bugs that need fixing:

    * ap_discard_request should be converted to use the bucket API
      directly rather than waste cycles copying buffers with the old API.

    * MaxRequestsPerChild measures connections, not requests.
        Until someone has a better way, we'll probably just rename it
        "MaxConnectionsPerChild".

    * Regex containers don't work in an intutive way
        behavior. Dean has suggested getting rid of regex containers
        completely.
        OtherBill suggests: We at least seem to agree on eliminating
                            the <Container ~ foo> forms, and using only
                            <ContainerMatch foo> semantics.

    * SIGSEGV on Linux (glibc 2.1.2) isn't caught properly by a
      sigwaiting thread. We need to work around this, perhaps unless
      there is hope soon for a fixed glibc.

    * orig_ct in the byterange/multipart handling may not be
      needed. Apache 1.3 just never stashed "multipart" into
      r->content_type. We should probably follow suit since the
      byterange stuff doesn't want the rest of the code to see the
      multipart content-type; the other code should still think it is
      dealing with the <orig_ct> stuff.
                likely the one to break it :-)

Binaries (2.0.45):

 Platform                      Avail.  Volunteer
 AIX 4.3.3                     no      Bill Stoddard
 Mandrake 8.1                  no      open
 FreeBSD 4.1                   no      open
 hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.00         no      Cliff Woolley
 i386-pc-solaris2.8            no      Aaron Bannert
 i386-unknown-freebsd4.5       no
 i386-unknown-freebsd4.6       no      Cliff Woolley
 i686-pc-linux-gnu-slackware81 no      Cliff Woolley
 i686-pc-linux-gnu-rh70        no      Aaron Bannert
 i686-pc-linux-gnu-rh73        no      Cliff Woolley
 ia64-hp-hpux11.20             no
 powerpc-apple-darwin5.5       no      Aaron Bannert
 powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu     no      Graham Leggett
 s390-ibm-linux                no      Greg Ames
 sparc-sun-solaris2.8          no      Jim Jagielski
 NetWare                       yes     Brad Nicholes
 OS/2                          no      Brian Havard
 OS/390                        no      Greg Ames
 Win32-x86                     yes     William Rowe
 x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu      yes     Aaron Bannert