Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by EP...@upstate.com on 2003/05/12 10:32:58 UTC

Status of Avalon HibernateService?

Hi all,

I just returned from traveling, so I have some time to work with Turbine.  I
noticed that the HibernateService was removed from Fulcrum (due to the
licensing issues) and it hopefully will find a home, however that hasn't
happened.  However, Chris Chew and I corresponded on using Hibernate, so I
am going to try and put up a page on the Wiki about my lessons learned with
Hibernate and Turbine.

Is there a lot of other interest in using the HibernateService by other
people?  I am wondering whether I should try and pursue the goal of making
Hibernate (and OJB) coexists in all the locations where Turbine uses Torque.
Or just write my own services etc..

Eric

Re: Status of Avalon HibernateService?

Posted by Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz <le...@ibnetwork.com.br>.
Ooops. I mean. I'm interested !

Posted by Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz <le...@ibnetwork.com.br>.
Me too !

Posted by Pavel Kusch <pa...@icecentric.com>.
Eric,

Having a choice in persistence layer would be great. Torque is great but it
does not support so many databases as Hibernate. We will have to use DB2
very soon and it seems that Torque does not wok fine with DB2. Or does it?
Yes, it would be perfect if Hibernate coexisted in all the locations where
Turbine uses Torque!

I was really looking forward to integration of Hibernate and Turbine.

regards,

Pavel Kusch
iceCentric
309.685.7900
309.264.2674

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Chris K Chew" <ch...@fenetics.com> writes:

>We actually removed all dependencies on torque by using the Passive Security
>Service (We are going to roll our own) and disabling the Scheduler service.
>It seems like rewriting these with Hibernate Implementations would be pretty
>straight forward.

Nah, you haven't. :-) We have exposed Torque objects (e.g. Criteria) at
some places in the interfaces and we can't get rid of them easily (e.g.
SecurityService and VelocityEMail). Even with PassiveSecurity Service you
get in trouble once you need an Anonymous User if you remove Torque
completely.

There is definitely quite some work for post-2.3 For now I'm too busy
with other stuff.

>What would not be straight forward, but probably the best way to go, is a
>generic persistence interface that could be implemented with torque and

If you simply decouple SecurityService from its first implementation
(Torque) then you get somewhere. We do need persistence only in two
places: Security Service (Torque) and the Scheduler (which will sooner
or later die in favour of the Quartz stuff). Now let the DBSecurityService
with its hand-rolled Peers die and you have nicely decoupled Persistence
stuff.

	Regards
		Henning

Posted by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com>.
> From: EPugh@upstate.com
>
> I just returned from traveling, so I have some time to work with
> Turbine.  I
> noticed that the HibernateService was removed from Fulcrum (due to the
> licensing issues) and it hopefully will find a home, however that hasn't
> happened.  However, Chris Chew and I corresponded on using Hibernate, so I
> am going to try and put up a page on the Wiki about my lessons
> learned with
> Hibernate and Turbine.
> Is there a lot of other interest in using the HibernateService by other
> people?  I am wondering whether I should try and pursue the goal of making
> Hibernate (and OJB) coexists in all the locations where Turbine
> uses Torque.
> Or just write my own services etc..

We have started using Hibernate on our current project and are quite happy
with it.

Posted by Quinton McCombs <qm...@nequalsone.com>.

I am very interested in using it.