Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Lance Semmens <la...@marketpipe.com> on 2006/11/21 11:13:00 UTC

RE: [net] reporting bounced emails

Thanks Rory, [net] looks quite lightweight compared to apache JAMES which I have been looking at. A couple of questions:

1. The javadoc for POP3Client.retrieveMessage() states "You must not issue any commands to the POP3 server (i.e., call any other methods) until you finish reading the message from the returned Reader instance."

Does this mean that I have to read the entire email or can I close() the reader after I have inspected the headers? There is also a retrieveMessageTop() but I don't know how many lines the header will be.

2. Will messageId increase for each new email? I need some way of keeping track of which emails I've already processed. I have considered saving processed id's or deleting processed messages but if the id always increases I can just store the last id processed.

3. If I'm going about this the wrong way and there's an easier way of reporting bounced emails, please sing out.

Thanks,
Lance.