Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/08 01:34:01 UTC

Shepherds

Hi all,

Roman wrote this regarding shepherds to me in an off-site discussion:

Shepherd have tremendous responsibilities by providing an independent
second opinion of the health of podlings back to the IPMC

Please have that incorporated in the Roles and Responsibilities page (
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html)

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Re: Shepherds

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Roman, all.

The kind of text I have in mind is one that is made up letters forming
words in one or more sentences, so that a majority of skilled persons kan
read them. If necessary numbers and other characters can be used to improve
legibility.

Re: Shepherds

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Hi Pierre!

Re: Shepherds

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 4:52 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>
wrote:

> > Please have that incorporated in the Roles and Responsibilities page (
> > http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html)
>
> The shepherd institution is slowly tailing away as fewer and fewer
> shepherds participate.  I don't see this as a bad thing, as the
> crucial functionality of the shepherds -- making sure podlings in
> trouble don't slip through the cracks -- is now achieved by requiring
> Mentor signoff and by putting podlings who don't report into "monthly"
> reporting. It's the Report Manager and the Chair who take care of
> that.
>
> Rather than shunt volunteer energy towards shepherds, it would be nice
> if we had more Report Managers.

True enough.  But I still use shepherd report a good bit.

I will request some volunteer time of our recent joiners.

Re: Shepherds

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Roman wrote this regarding shepherds to me in an off-site discussion:
>
> Shepherd have tremendous responsibilities by providing an independent
> second opinion of the health of podlings back to the IPMC

The first opinion on the podling's health comes from the podling
contributors who create the podling report.  Providing a second
opinion on the health of the podling is a responsibility of the
Mentors, and we should trust them.  It's when Mentors drop away that
we have a problem.

The Shepherds used to address this contingency, but shepherd
participation has been low for a long time and we can't count on the
Shepherds to catch when podlings are adrift.  (Unless we want to start
rejecting reports with no shepherd review, which I'm sure nobody
wants.)

> Please have that incorporated in the Roles and Responsibilities page (
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html)

The shepherd institution is slowly tailing away as fewer and fewer
shepherds participate.  I don't see this as a bad thing, as the
crucial functionality of the shepherds -- making sure podlings in
trouble don't slip through the cracks -- is now achieved by requiring
Mentor signoff and by putting podlings who don't report into "monthly"
reporting. It's the Report Manager and the Chair who take care of
that.

Rather than shunt volunteer energy towards shepherds, it would be nice
if we had more Report Managers.

Marvin Humphrey