Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by David Brown <da...@gisajob.com> on 2000/06/08 17:08:28 UTC

DNS Lookups ? huh ?

Since upgrading to the latest verion of mod_perl I've noticed that I get
remote host names appearing in my access logs rather than IP addresses (in
80% of entries).

My concern is that my machine is try to perform DNS lookups, and the
subsequent load it may add.

My httpd.conf has-> HostnameLookups Off

Could it just be that many browsers are supplying their remote host in their
request .. if so, why have I not seen it before ?

None of my scripts query $REMOTE..... values.

Perhaps my recompilation of Apache triggered something I'd not had enabled
before.

Re: DNS Lookups ? huh ?

Posted by David Brown <da...@gisajob.com>.
The problem was solved offline with the kind help of Bill Mosely, but I'll
post the solution here for the masses.

I had an entry in my httpd.conf to the tune of something like:

Deny from some.bad.domain.com

As this was a name and not an IP address, the machine had to lookup each
incoming IP address to make sure it didn't match the domain name listed in
Deny from...

(The rebuild of mod_perl coincided with some dolt flooding our machine)

Re: DNS Lookups ? huh ?

Posted by Rob Tanner <rt...@onlinemac.com>.
In httpd.conf, make sure HostNameLookups is OFF.  The default is ON when
you build apache (in the httpd.conf that the build generates).

-- Rob

--On Thursday, June 08, 2000 4:08 PM +0100 David Brown <da...@gisajob.com>
wrote:

> Since upgrading to the latest verion of mod_perl I've noticed that I get
> remote host names appearing in my access logs rather than IP addresses (in
> 80% of entries).
>
> My concern is that my machine is try to perform DNS lookups, and the
> subsequent load it may add.
>
> My httpd.conf has-> HostnameLookups Off
>
> Could it just be that many browsers are supplying their remote host in
> their request .. if so, why have I not seen it before ?
>
> None of my scripts query $REMOTE..... values.
>
> Perhaps my recompilation of Apache triggered something I'd not had enabled
> before.

-- Rob

     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)

  Rob Tanner
  McMinnville, Oregon
  rtanner@onlinemac.com