Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Nikhil Khandelwal <ni...@microsoft.com> on 2015/04/08 02:26:53 UTC

Jira CB-831: File transfer tests crash on Android L

The JIRA which was marked as 'Won't fix' is currently blocking Android test runs on http://ci.cordova.io:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-8431.

It looks like Android L's implementation of OkHttp has a race condition which hits quite consistently with our current file transfer tests. There is a comment by Andrew in the bug that points to using this plugin on Android L: https://github.com/MobileChromeApps/cordova-plugin-okhttp.

Should this plugin be a dependency to the file transfer plugin? Or the code for it be rolled in as part of file transfer plugin itself?

For the short term I'm leaning towards working around this issue, by using an older AVD (instead of Android L) on our CI setup. However, there is a chance developers running Cordova apps on Android L will run into this and would expect some guidance here.

Thanks,
Nikhil

RE: Jira CB-831: File transfer tests crash on Android L

Posted by tommy-carlos williams <to...@devgeeks.org>.
There are lots of multi-sim phones available in AU…

--
tommy-carlos williams

On 14 April 2015 at 06:59:56, Josh Soref (jsoref@blackberry.com) wrote:

Joe wrote:
> No idea. Andrew already upped the API level to 22, which is Android 5.1.

> In related news, It may make sense to create an issue to add support for
> multi-SIM phones, but of course nobody has one AFAIK since they only exist
> in India.

I think Firefox Flame has support for them, and outside of India.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/meet-flame-mozillas-170-firefox-os-phone-for-devs/

RE: Jira CB-831: File transfer tests crash on Android L

Posted by Josh Soref <js...@blackberry.com>.

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.
Google added official multi sim support on the latest version, not sure how
that affects to apps. I have a motorola moto g 2014 and it's dual sim (at
least the spanish model), let me know if you need me to test anything when
I receive the 5.1 version (I'm on 5.0.2 right now)

Re: Jira CB-831: File transfer tests crash on Android L

Posted by Frederico Galvão <fr...@pontoget.com.br>.
@Joe On a side-note: What do you mean by "support for multi-SIM phones"?
And by that I mean, what doesn't Cordova already support in these?
Also, phones with more than one SIM slots are very common here in Brazil
and even some places in Europe, so you might not have to visit India for
that ;)

--

*Frederico Galvão*

Diretor de Tecnologia

PontoGet Inovação Web

( +55(62) 8131-5720

* www.pontoget.com.br <http://www.pontoget.com/>

Re: Jira CB-831: File transfer tests crash on Android L

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: Jira CB-831: File transfer tests crash on Android L

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: Jira CB-831: File transfer tests crash on Android L

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nikhil Khandelwal <ni...@microsoft.com>.
Thanks for explaining the issue. For our CI, we could continue using Android 4.4.2 for our emulator image as that's what most devs care about currently.

I have updated the JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-8431 with more details and changed the title. This should serve as documentation.

The tests that triggers it almost every time, does a file transfer request for a non-existent URL and does an abort as well. Request and abort happen on different threadpool threads and they trigger a race in Android's implementation of OKHttp. There are two workarounds for this issue:
- Upgrade to Android 5.1.1
- Use the plugin suggested by Andrew below to move to an updated version of OkHttp.

Thanks,
Nikhil

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.