Posted to users@flex.apache.org by drrevis <dr...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/18 16:12:22 UTC

Help with older version of Flex

Years ago I developed an application using Flex 4.5 w/BlazeDS and JavaEE in
Eclipse w/Flash Builder plugin. I've been doing some other work for the past
two years, but am in a position now where I really need to start using this
code again and update it and my development environment to use current
versions.

The configuration side of things has always been very difficult for me and
so I'm looking to find someone who can help me with that. It would be great
to find someone local (I'm in NYC), but I'm open to whatever would work to
get me going again.

I was looking for a users group here in the city but don't see one. Any
suggestions for how I can find someone to help?

Re: Help with older version of Flex

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Renee,

Unfortunately you have to have ultimate version of intellij - Flex is
supported only on that version.

Good Luck with and let me know how it goes. ;)

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: Help with older version of Flex

Posted by drrevis <dr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks so much for the help, Piotr!

I have multiple modules and apps that I had previously created, but I'll
really be focusing on just a few of them now. I have a Java Library module
with database files/objects, an EJB module that I use to manage the database
and that communicates with a Flex module/front-end app that I use to create
the database. In addition, I'll now be creating at least one new module that
will provide a REST endpoint that will access the database and possibly some
other things, too, depending on how it all goes.

I'll have to check on the version of Intellij. I don't have my work computer
at home right now. I'm thinking it might be v13, but since I'll be setting
this up fresh on my own computer, I can do whatever makes sense. Can I use
the community version for this or will I need the ultimate version?

For now, I'm having to do this as a side project (though hoping it will
again turn into more than that), so I won't be able to try to get IntelliJ
set up until this weekend. I'll give it a shot, though, and let you know if
I get stuck! Really appreciate the offer to help :-).

Renee

Re: Help with older version of Flex

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Drrevis,

I've been using Intellij from version 10 for Flex projects. Currently
working on app also with Adobe Flex 4.5, so maybe I could help. :)

 Which ver. Intellij are you using? Your project is a one module or
multimodule app?

Since Intellij understand Flash Builder project files you have to only:
1) Create new Flash project pointing folder with your project
2) Select Import from existing Flash Builder project.
3) Into configuration options of project point folder with sdk

Writing from the mobile phone so don't have Intellij right now -
instructions is not so detailed. I think with some tutorial you should be
able to setup project.
If you fail with this I could setup with you se meeting on skype and provide
you step by step through the configuration.

Good Luck! :)
Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: Help with older version of Flex

Posted by drrevis <dr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the links. I'll take a look at them.

I was actually able to figure out the original problem. Turns out it was
with BlazeDS, not Flex. A change I had made on the Java side was causing
some of the attributes for objects to not be passed through. I still
need/want to be able to get things set up to debug the Flex side of things
better, though.

The IDE is Eclipse (Helios) with the Flash Builder plugin. I've actually
gotten used to using IntelliJ with some other projects I've worked on and so
if possible, I'd like to switch to using that, but the config for it all has
been so challenging that I've hesitated to make any larger changes.

Are there any docs that can speak to converting between the two for a
Flex/Java project with BlazeDS? Some things I've read seem to indicate that
it should be possible, but would just like to confirm that. The Flash
Builder plugin obviously wouldn't work with IntelliJ, but I'm not sure if I
would still need that?

Re: Help with older version of Flex

Posted by Hans Nuecke <hn...@vservu.de>.
You might find these links helpful:
http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/flashplayer/pdfs/flash_player_17_0_admin_guide.pdf
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/system/Capabilities.html
(there is a capability "isDebugger")
http://backroom.bostonproductions.com/?p=902
http://jpauclair.net/2010/02/10/mmcfg-treasure/

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.htm (easy way to check the actual
version in every browser)

For more details it helps to know the IDE you are using; as Justin
already asked for...

Posted by Justin Ransom Dallas <ju...@gmail.com>.
What is your IDE platform?

On Saturday, April 18, 2015, drrevis <dr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In general I need to get my environment set back up cleanly so I can debug
> things well. I'm more familiar with the Java side of things and can't even
> remember now how I used to debug the Flex side. I'm not sure I have things
> configured correctly (or ever did fully actually).
>
> The main problem I'm seeing right now is that part of my application
> doesn't
> work anymore. I have several lists of objects that I then break down into
> other more specific lists based on their individual type. This code used to
> work fine, but now it doesn't and I suspect there may be a change in the
> flash player that is causing the difference? Not sure, but if I could get a
> debugger working for the Flex side, it would certainly help.
>
> I was also trying to get a debug version of flash player working in Chrome
> and was unsuccessful. I know I need to go into about:plugins and disable
> the
> built in version of flash player, but after trying to install the debug
> version many times, Chrome would still never show 2 different versions of
> the file, so I could select between them. I think I successfully installed
> the debug version with Firefox and am happy to use that for development if
> need to, but still can't remember how to set things up to use trace stmts
> or
> an actual debugger.
>
> Any help would be very appreciated!

Justin Dallas
Phone:814-880-5637

Re: Help with older version of Flex

Posted by drrevis <dr...@gmail.com>.
[...]

the debug version with Firefox and am happy to use that for development if I