Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2008/08/08 09:29:23 UTC

Re: svn commit: r682286 - in /forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.OOo

> Author: gmcdonald
> Date: Mon Aug  4 01:17:17 2008
> New Revision: 682286

> Log:
> Add initial plugin code for OOo
>
> Added:
[ snip ]
>     forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.OOo/resources/stylesheets/xdoc-to-odt.xsl   (with props)
[ snip ]
>     forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.OOo/src/documentation/content/xdocs/ODF_text_reference_v1.odt   (with props)
[ snip ]

Gavin, can you please clarify that you are able to
commit those under the terms of your ASF Contributor
License Agreement.
http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

If it is someone else's work then we need to be sure
that its license terms enable you to add it, and we need
to clearly note where it came from.

If it is your own original work, then no problem.

-David

Re: OpenOffice.org output plugins license (Was: svn commit: r682286)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Gavin wrote:

> [...]

-1 there is no reason for them to go to SF now that we have your
clarification that this is your code.

Ross

Re: OpenOffice.org output plugins license (Was: svn commit: r682286)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Thanks for explaining. No i didn't know any of that.
> Perhaps it should go into the documentation for that
> plugin.
>
> What frightened me was seeing this in the XSL stylesheet:
>
> However, now i see that it is for default output
> rather than part of the XSL itself.

A great example of CTR in action - thanks.

Ross

Re: OpenOffice.org output plugins license (Was: svn commit: r682286)

Posted by Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

No, not created by an external tool. You may know this already but for the
record,

When using writer (aka Word) in OpenOffice 2.4, the resultant .odt file
created is actually a zip containing a structure and .xml documents. These
xml files each have their own job of containing the data which makes up the
overall .odt file.

What I ended up finding I needed to do to create these files and zip them up
into an .odt file was use all possible combinations necessary of the
OpenDocument 1.1 specifications for each type of xml , settings, styles,
manifest, content, meta. I followed the original OpenOffice.org-output style
for producing the .odt as a zip file.

I will say this once more with certain clarity 'The stylesheet is written by
me, provided by me.' not automated by any xml tool (I know Oxygen can
produce something similar), not borrowed or anything else.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Gavin wrote:

>>> [ snip ]
>>> forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.OOo/reso
>>> urces/stylesheets/xdoc-to-odt.xsl   (with props)
>>> [ snip ]
>>> forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.OOo/src/
>>> documentation/content/xdocs/ODF_text_reference_v1.odt   (with props)
>>> [ snip ]
>>>
>>> Gavin, can you please clarify that you are able to
>>> commit those under the terms of your ASF Contributor
>>> License Agreement.
>>> http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas
>>>
>>> If it is someone else's work then we need to be sure
>>> that its license terms enable you to add it, and we need
>>> to clearly note where it came from.
>>>
>>> If it is your own original work, then no problem.
>> The .xsl is mine, the .odt is a good reference for testing and is not mine ,
>> I should not have committed that and will remove it,
>
> I am concerned about that stylesheet. It seems that
> it is generated by some sort of external tool.
>
> Is that stylesheet provided by OpenOffice.org? If so,
> then wouldn't it be under the LGPL license?
>
> Ross, there is a similar situation with the old plugin
> org.apache.forrest.plugin.OpenOffice.org-output
> I wandered around svn history and it seems that there
> have not been any real changes to this plugin. I presume
> that means that no-one is using it.

All code in the output plugin is mine. There are no copyright issues.
However, it is not receiving active development and should be removed in
preference for Gavins work which is active it would seem (we will need
to vote though in case someone is using it).

Gavin, please ensure there is nothing useful in my original plugin for
your new one.

Ross

OpenOffice.org output plugins license (Was: svn commit: r682286)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Thanks

Gav...