Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> on 2019/05/23 08:24:57 UTC

AOO 4.2.0

I am using AOO 4.2.0 Rev 1859149 2019-05-12_15:10:46 Rev 1859151, running in Xubuntu 18.04.2 (latest updates)

When I start openoffice4 in a terminal, opening a blank Writer file gives:

SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further details.

The url in the error message tells:

Failed to load class org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder
This warning message is reported when the org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder class could not be loaded into memory. This happens when no appropriate SLF4J binding could be found on the class path. Placing one (and only one) of slf4j-nop.jar slf4j-simple.jar, slf4j-log4j12.jar, slf4j-jdk14.jar or logback-classic.jar on the class path should solve the problem.

SINCE 1.6.0 As of SLF4J version 1.6, in the absence of a binding, SLF4J will default to a no-operation (NOP) logger implementation.

If you are responsible for packaging an application and do not care about logging, then placing slf4j-nop.jar on the class path of your application will get rid of this warning message. Note that embedded components such as libraries or frameworks should not declare a dependency on any SLF4J binding but only depend on slf4j-api. When a library declares a compile-time dependency on a SLF4J binding, it imposes that binding on the end-user, thus negating SLF4J's purpose.

-------------

I should say that version works OK for large text editing (70k words) and preparation of Impress presentations (100 slides, containing approx 200 illustrations, from which custom slideshow of about 60 slides will be selected).

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: AOO 4.2.0

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 23 May 2019 23:34:35 +0200
Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:

> Hi Rory,
>
> Am 23.05.19 um 23:29 schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
> > On Thu, 23 May 2019 23:10:47 +0200
> > Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Rory,

> >> How exactly do you start AOO from terminal?
> >> I cannot reproduce this output on my Xubuntu 18.04.2 with
> >> AOO420m2(Build:9821)  -  Rev. 1859149 2019-05-12_15:10:46 - Rev. 1859151
> >> (German version).
> >>
> >> Do you have any extensions installed?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >>    Matthias
> > In a terminal I type "openoffice4" (no quotes).  I get the main screen to select the various OO components, and when I select Writer I get the SLF4J messages I quoted.
> Exactly how I did...
> >   I do not get the messages with other OO components.  The "error" does not interfere with writing/editing.
> SLF4J seems to be a Java logging tool. So I suspect the output comes
> from one of your extensions.

Then the obvious candidate is LanguageTool  - I forgot - I also have a (broken) version of University of Bremen's BesserwissA AuthorSupportTool 1.1.1 (again, for the code). This is also a Java application.  I'll do a clean install tomorrow and add in until I find the culprit.

Going offline now

Rory

Re: AOO 4.2.0

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 23 May 2019 23:34:35 +0200
Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:

> Hi Rory,
>
> Am 23.05.19 um 23:29 schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
> > On Thu, 23 May 2019 23:10:47 +0200
> > Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Rory,

> >> How exactly do you start AOO from terminal?
> >> I cannot reproduce this output on my Xubuntu 18.04.2 with
> >> AOO420m2(Build:9821)  -  Rev. 1859149 2019-05-12_15:10:46 - Rev. 1859151
> >> (German version).
> >>
> >> Do you have any extensions installed?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >>    Matthias

OK, sorted!  The error message is due to LanguageTool; I'll report it to Language Tool. As I said, it doesn't seem to affect anything

Thanks for your help.

Rory.

Re: AOO 4.2.0

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Rory,

Re: AOO 4.2.0

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 23 May 2019 23:10:47 +0200
Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:

> Hi Rory,
>
> Am 23.05.19 um 10:24 schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
> > I am using AOO 4.2.0 Rev 1859149 2019-05-12_15:10:46 Rev 1859151, running in Xubuntu 18.04.2 (latest updates)
> >
> > When I start openoffice4 in a terminal, opening a blank Writer file gives:
> >
> > SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
> > SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
> > SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further details.
>
> How exactly do you start AOO from terminal?
> I cannot reproduce this output on my Xubuntu 18.04.2 with
> AOO420m2(Build:9821)  -  Rev. 1859149 2019-05-12_15:10:46 - Rev. 1859151
> (German version).
>
> Do you have any extensions installed?
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias

In a terminal I type "openoffice4" (no quotes).  I get the main screen to select the various OO components, and when I select Writer I get the SLF4J messages I quoted.  I do not get the messages with other OO components.  The "error" does not interfere with writing/editing.

Re: AOO 4.2.0

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Rory,