Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de> on 2000/10/16 13:04:05 UTC

Re: [C1] contrib directory

Robin Green wrote:

> (1) - Put everything in the core distribution. But I don't want to have to
> test it all, and it would be bad to include any old junk without testing it
> first.

I can only test my logicsheets, if I know what to test against. I've
said this a couple of times before: cocoon needs reference platforms it
is tested against.

> (2) - Put them in a contrib directory in CVS but make it clear they _may_
> be
> flaky; move them into the main distro if and when they are reasonably
> "proven".

Why should I put something in a contrib directory, when I could just as
well test it against the reference platforms and put it in the distro?

On the other hand if we have no reference platforms to test against,
what is the difference between contrib code and distro code? Both are
untested. So why do we need a contrib directory at all?

> (3) - Links only in the documentation (this would have to be done anyway in
> cases where contributors weren't willing to "sign" copyright away to the
> ASF
> and release it under the cocoon license, I think). Again make it clear that
> "these are not maintained by the Cocoon project and we offer no guarantees"
> etc. I'm happy to do this right away if (1) or (2) are not agreed upon.

Code only makes sense, if it is used. Stuff in the main distro is more
likely to be used than stuff linked to from documentation that no-one
reads :-)

But I don't mind if you link to my taglibs from the docs.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Re: [C1] contrib directory

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Paul Russell wrote:

> And even more funky would be if you just e-mailed the jars to
> a test address which distributed them, tested them, returned
> the results. Ambitious? Me?

I think the test server should also automatically write docs, if it
works :-)

Ulrich

Re: [C1] contrib directory

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 12:42:35AM +0200, Uli Mayring wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Uli Mayring wrote:
> > I don't know what an XP style test environment is, but making standard
> > testfiles sounds like a great idea.
> Come to think of it: even better would be if the Apache group or other
> volunteers set up reference systems somewhere on the Internet and everyone
> could use them for testing. I'd submit my taglib in some way to a machine
> running some exotic configuration and would see right away if it works.

And even more funky would be if you just e-mailed the jars to
a test address which distributed them, tested them, returned
the results. Ambitious? Me?

Paul

--
Paul Russell                               <pa...@luminas.co.uk>
Luminas Ltd.

Re: [C1] contrib directory

Posted by Uli Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Uli Mayring wrote:

> I don't know what an XP style test environment is, but making standard
> testfiles sounds like a great idea.

Come to think of it: even better would be if the Apache group or other
volunteers set up reference systems somewhere on the Internet and everyone
could use them for testing. I'd submit my taglib in some way to a machine
running some exotic configuration and would see right away if it works.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Softwareentwicklung

Re: [C1] contrib directory

Posted by Uli Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Re: [C1] contrib directory

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.

Re: [C1] contrib directory

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@histio.org>.

Re: [C1] contrib directory

Posted by Ross Burton <ro...@lineone.net>.
On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> I think we should not specify an OS. The reference platforms only make
> sense, when everyone has access to these platforms and can test his
> stuff. But not everyone has access to all those OSes.

True.

> > Really another servlet container should be used. However, I've only used
> > Tomcat so can't comment here. Resin? JRun?
>
> In my mind definitely JServ, it has been the default servlet engine for
> cocoon before Tomcat came along. It is not a good idea to include
> commercial servlet engines, because they again are not accessible to
> everyone.

Sorry - I've been thinking about Cocoon 2 mainly here, which
requires Servlet 2.2. For Cocoon 1, of course JServ is the prime
container.

Ross

Re: [C1] contrib directory

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Re: [C1] contrib directory

Posted by Ross Burton <ro...@mail.com>.
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Robin Green wrote:
> >
> > (1) - Put everything in the core distribution. But I don't want to have to
> > test it all, and it would be bad to include any old junk without testing it
> > first.
>
> I can only test my logicsheets, if I know what to test against. I've
> said this a couple of times before: cocoon needs reference platforms it
> is tested against.

I'll make a stab at a starting point for the reference platforms:

1) Windows 98, Tomcat 4 (standalone), Sun's JDK 1.2 reference
implementation.
2) Redhat Linux 6.2, Tomcat 4 (standalone), Sun's JDK 1.2 (aka
Blackdown)
3) Windows NT 4, IIS 4, whatever servet runner most people use?
4) MacOS? I have no idea what systems people run here, but I know Cocoon
has been used on a Mac.
5) BSD?  Which BSD has a native Java port?

Really another servlet container should be used. However, I've only used
Tomcat so can't comment here. Resin? JRun?

To pass the test, Cocoon must install and run with minimal fiddling by
following the manual, and all of the samples which will work out of the
box (i.e. not SQL) must run first time.

Now let's elaborate on this starting point until we're done!

Ross Burton