Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by skasab2s <sk...@smail.inf.fh-brs.de> on 2011/05/03 17:15:00 UTC

Nave Bayes Classifier and probability calculation for a single test example

Hello,

I tried out Mahout's Naive Bayes example for "history and science" and it
worked great! I have a question about the classifying part:

  for (Map.Entry&lt;String, List&lt;String&gt;> stringListEntry :
document.entrySet()) {
              List<String> strings = stringListEntry.getValue();
              ClassifierResult classifiedLabel = classifier.classify(model,
                  strings.toArray(new String[strings.size()]),
                  defaultCat);
boolean correct = resultAnalyzer.addInstance(correctLabel, classifiedLabel);
}

As a result for a single test example (in this case 'document'), we get a
boolean value. I'm a little bit confused, because as far as I know, Naive
Bayes is a probabilistic model
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naive_Bayes_classifier) and when classifying a
single instance, it should return a probability (measured in percentage, and
not in true/false).

So, how can I get a percentage instead of a boolean when using Naive Bayes /
Complementary Bayes?

Many thanks and best regards!

Svetlomir Kasabov

Re: Nave Bayes Classifier and probability calculation for a singletest edxample

Posted by ta...@gmail.com.
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel