Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by ur...@bluemail.ch on 2005/10/25 23:44:56 UTC

User defined message for component

Hello I would like to use my own error message
I use <h:message for="nickname">

<h:inputText id="nickname" value="#{Register.nickname}" required="true" size="10"
maxlength="24"/>
<h:message for="nickname"/>

This generates the error message "nickname": Value is required. I would like
to replace this with my own message.

My recipe:

1) In faces-config.xml config file I have the entry

<faces-config>
   <application>
     <message-bundle>org.partneragency.web.validatormessage</message-bundle>
   </application>
</faces-config>

2) In validatormessage.properties I add the entry
nickname=nickname must be set

This does not work.

Re: User defined message for component

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
This is guesswork, but I came across message keys in the JSF 1.2 spec
earlier today.

I think you might be able to use this entry instead:

javax.faces.component.UIInput.REQUIRED={0} must be set

The original value was

javax.faces.component.UIInput.REQUIRED={0}: Validation Error: Value is required

Unfortunately, the ability to specify required message keys at the tag
level (requiredMessage=.....) isn't available until JSF 1.2.

Also note that you can define

    <h:outputLabel for="nickname">
        <h:outputText value="nickname"/>
    </h:outputLabel>

and whatever the value of the outputLabel is will be used for {0} in
your message key.  This is probably more useful when the id can't
contain the display value (ie, "Last Name" instead of "lastname").

-Mike