Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Kernel freak <ke...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/11 16:09:43 UTC

Using Apache FOP with XML for PDF formatting, input from database.

Hello friends,

I am working on a project where I have to export the data from the database
to a PDF. The requirement is that the PDF should look like a standard
template. The link for template is given below.

I was having a conversation with Bob Swanson and I came to know that I
don't need to always use XML file for creating PDF.

What I would like to do is, read the XML file for table structure, image
links, font files, etc. Then access the database for information(I already
have functions for that), and then input that data in the pdf in
appropriate sections, which has the design based on the XML file. If anyone
has done anything similar, I can really use some pointers or basic source
code or similar examples.

If I am wrong, kindly correct me.

Link for how the PDF should look :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1994132/Business_Model_Canvas.png

Re: Using Apache FOP with XML for PDF formatting, input from database.

Posted by Dirk Eiden <di...@gmx.de>.
Perhaps you could create a PDF form and fill it with PDFBox or iText.

Posted by Rune Johansen <ru...@metafocus.no>.
If you can deliver results from your database as XML ( eg. forxml in Sql Server ) over HTTP, you can easily generate master/detail reports using document variables.

Rune Johansen

System developer / Partner
Metafocus AS

Posted by Kernel freak <ke...@gmail.com>.