Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Matt Bathje <mp...@ntsource.com> on 2004/06/18 00:28:39 UTC

tomcat 5 breaks my tiles

Hey all.

I'm attempting to upgrade my application to tomcat 5 from tomcat 4.1.

Most stuff is working fine, but we have a few places where the tile is
defined in tiles-defs.xml as blank, meaning:
<put name="inHead" value =""/>

This worked fine in tomcat 4, but in the tomcat 5 version, when the jsp page
tries to use that part of the tile (<tiles:get name="inHead" />)

it crashes on me. A partial stack trace is below - if anybody really wants
the whole thing let me know.

The basic error is a string index out of range error, from
java.lang.String.substring.

Since this worked I always assumed it was somethign that is valid to do in
tiles. It makes the tiles-defs file a lot nicer to look at anyways. Is it
really something that shouldn't be done? Or is tomcat 5 broken somehow?

Thanks in advance,
Matt Bathje

partial stack trace:

2004-06-17 17:06:21 ApplicationDispatcher[] Servlet.service() for servlet
action threw exception
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
 at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1438)
 at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1411)
 at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:193)
 at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:810)
 at
FilterChain.java:237)
 at
ain.java:157)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.
java:703)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doInclude(ApplicationDispatch
er.java:589)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.include(ApplicationDispatcher
.java:499)
 at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspRuntimeLibrary.include(JspRuntimeLibrary.java:9
66)
 at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.include(PageContextImpl.java:581)
 at org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesUtilImpl.doInclude(TilesUtilImpl.java:142)
 at org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesUtil.doInclude(TilesUtil.java:178)
 at org.apache.struts.taglib.tiles.InsertTag.doInclude(InsertTag.java:799)
 at
org.apache.struts.taglib.tiles.InsertTag$InsertHandler.doEndTag(InsertTag.ja
va:931)
 at org.apache.struts.taglib.tiles.InsertTag.doEndTag(InsertTag.java:501)
 at
org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.tiles.public_.layouts.base_jsp._jspx_meth_tiles_g
et_0(base_jsp.java:511)
 at
org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.tiles.public_.layouts.base_jsp._jspService(base_j
sp.java:162)

Re: tomcat 5 breaks my tiles

Posted by Mark Lowe <ma...@boxstuff.com>.
I've been using tiles quite happily with tc5. But i never use get.

I always use useAttribute and then just el to display stuff.

<%@ page isELIgnored="false" %>
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/tlds/struts-tiles.tld" prefix="tiles" %>

<tiles:useAttribute id="foo" name="inHead" scope="page" />

${foo}

could be a solution for you.