Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/05 18:26:50 UTC

[DISCUSS] Improve website publish process in release procedure

Hi all,

I am starting a discussion to gather ideas on how to improve the website
publish process in our release procedure. Searchbox doesn't work
immediately after we publish the documentation for new release. It happened
both 2.4.0 and 2.4.1 release.

- The documentation is indexed using Algolia DocSearch.
- Algolia only indexes the documentation when the documentation is alive.
- Apparently the index sometimes take longer time to complete.

So it seems to me that we should consider marking the release as
active/default only after confirming that Algolia already indexes the
documentation and search box is working properly.

Thoughts?

- Sijie

Re: [DISCUSS] Improve website publish process in release procedure

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
I think it is less critical for new content changes than for new releases.
Because the index is there but just stale.

However for new releases, the experience is different. People can't really
search anything for the new release.

I think the fix should be simple and straightforward in the release
process.

When creating a new release documentation, we should just following files
to make the new release is not *current* release.

- change `site2/website/releases.json` to remove the new release. because
the first line will be treated as the latest stable release.
- change `site2/website/versions.json` to remove the new release. because
the first line will be treated as the latest stable release.
- fix the versions page `site2/website/pages/en/versions.js` to render the
new release as a version under releasing.

After a release is approved, the release manager can push the new version
of the document but since it is not rendered as the latest stable version.
So people will not access it.

The release manager waits and check if Algolia indexes the new verrsion
document or not before announcing the release.

This change should be pretty simple. We can write scripts to automate the
whole process.

Thanks,
Sijie

Posted by Jia Zhai <zh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.
A logical conundrum! You can’t get it index until its published and you can’t control when the updated site is indexed. Is there anyway to trigger their index? If so, do it to minimize the trouble.

Infra just announced a new .asf.yaml service. I can see how we could add Apache Solr indexing to it. A thought to discuss with Infra.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone