Posted to qa@openoffice.apache.org by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> on 2020/10/24 18:13:56 UTC

QA Automated Test coverage

Hi All,

I've been testing builds with the automated BVT and FVT tests lately.
I have a few questions:

1. Is there anything documented about how much coverage these tests
provide vs.functionality?

2. Is there yet a place to list new cases it would good to add test for?

I think there is a lot that could be done in this area to attract new
contributors if we had a place to work from.
Both in documenting and work on some flaky tests that I've run into.

I'm willing to put some effort into this, both organizing and developing.

Slightly off topic is the QA Intro page [1] discusses TestLink which I
don't think we use anymore and migrated the tests onto the wiki [2].
But this list seems to describe the automated tests. At least some that
I've looked at.
Manual Tests (it says outdated) are here [3]. Link to the Test Case
Management is also a 404.

[1] https://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-qa.html
[2] https://www.openoffice.org/qa/testcase/ManualTesting/
[3] https://www.openoffice.org/qa/testcase/index.html

Best regards,
Carl

Re: QA Automated Test coverage

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Andrea,

On 10/27/20 5:58 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 24/10/2020 Carl Marcum wrote:
>> Slightly off topic is the QA Intro page [1] discusses TestLink which
>> I don't think we use anymore
>
> Well, it looks like Adfinis decided to kill it. That was set up in the
> recent era (Apache), so it should serve as a lesson: Adfinis
> contributed a server, got Google rank thanks to our prominent links
> and then moved away with our data. At least, all references to the
> Adfinis link should be removed.
>
>> and migrated the tests onto the wiki [2].
>
> No, that was the manual. Tests were meant to be on Testlink, or at
> least I cannot find them in the wiki.
>
>> Manual Tests (it says outdated) are here [3]. Link to the Test Case
>> Management is also a 404.
>
> This is indeed obsolete. TCM is from the pre-Apache era, it was hosted
> by Oracle and, despite numerous requests done by myself and others
> around 2012, Oracle refused to contribute test cases to the ASF due to
> their unclear licensing and copyright. So all references to TCM are
> obsolete and there is no hope to get TCM testcases back,
> unfortunately: they provided very good coverage and helped building a
> QA community.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.
There seem to be quite a bit of automated functional tests. around 800.
Not all get ran on all platforms but I have no way to know yet how much
that covers.
I'm looking into different options to make them a little friendlier for
new QA contributors to build and use.
Easier and used more :)

It seems that they are setup to be built by ant only after a build of
the office because the ant build uses artifacts from the solver
directory after a build.
Things like the UNO jars and idlc.
These files could easily be used from the office and sdk to be tested or
the installed office so a QA doesn't have to build the office first to
use them.

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org.INVALID>.
Hi Peter

> On 10/29/2020 10:47 AM Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>

> How about creating an automated manual test RPA robot as a GSoC?
>
> Just a wild idea.

I think that if one of the people reading this email today knows how to fix this (and has the time/urge to scratch this itch) then it is better to fix it now...

Waiting for someone (that may never arrive) to fix it because it is very simple is pushing the problem into the future...

Just my 2 cents!

Regards,
Pedro

Re: QA Automated Test coverage

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Maybe the following link helps?

https://www.openoffice.org/qa/testcase/index.html

Kay did migrate stuff in 2018 I think. Maybe went a bit unnoticed?

Is this what the Server had contained?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Andrea,

> On 24/10/2020 Carl Marcum wrote:
>> Slightly off topic is the QA Intro page [1] discusses TestLink which
>> I don't think we use anymore
>
> Well, it looks like Adfinis decided to kill it. That was set up in the
> recent era (Apache), so it should serve as a lesson: Adfinis
> contributed a server, got Google rank thanks to our prominent links
> and then moved away with our data. At least, all references to the
> Adfinis link should be removed.

Was that AdfinisSygroup, the same that hosted our OpenGrok Server and
then pulled it?

They are now with LO...

https://blog.documentfoundation.org/blog/2019/05/23/the-document-foundation-welcomes-adfinis-sygroup-to-the-projects-advisory-board/

I abstain from judgement. ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Damjan,

On 10/28/20 12:21 AM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 8:14 PM Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've been testing builds with the automated BVT and FVT tests lately.
>> I have a few questions:
>>
>> 1. Is there anything documented about how much coverage these tests
>> provide vs.functionality?
>>
>> 2. Is there yet a place to list new cases it would good to add test for?
>>
>> I think there is a lot that could be done in this area to attract new
>> contributors if we had a place to work from.
>> Both in documenting and work on some flaky tests that I've run into.
>>
>> I'm willing to put some effort into this, both organizing and developing.
>>

> Hi Carl
>
> Thank you for helping with the tests.
>
> I wrote a good email summarizing the different tests we have some years
> ago, please see
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/bb1851b82ba009d2cefdf5af9997099b6fdfb04bddac3753172f2698%401459253891%40%3Cdev.openoffice.apache.org%3E
> Some things changed since then, eg. the smoketest location moved. There are
> a few other emails too, search for them.
>
> I also did some test fixes to bvt/fvt and others at various times. This
> year I learned quite a lot about them. For example many tests fail because
> they expect features that the .DOC file format cannot provide (such as
> strikeout styles unique to .ODT), there were timeouts, registry
> modifications had to be enabled to fix a test, confirmation dialogs that
> hang the tests, a 2048 byte limit in FreeBSD's "ps" was causing a pid
> lookup to fail, java.util.Calendar was being used incorrectly, etc. I fixed
> some of these, but others remain. Understanding why the .DOC tests fail
> requires understanding the .DOC file format, so fixing those tests isn't
> easy. Look through the Git log, I wrote pretty descriptive commit messages.
>
> One thing I didn't mention in that email is the thousands of unused tests
> we have in main/qadevOOo, but they seem difficult to set up, and use a
> custom test framework, not JUnit. They have a complex architecture, with
> some code implementing UNO components and some code testing them. There
> might even be code missing for some of them. There's a mixture of Java and
> StarBasic tests there, with much duplication - were they first written in
> one language then semi-ported to another?
>
> Anyway I can't help much at the moment, but good luck and let us know how
> it goes.
>
> Damjan

Thanks for the great information and the email link.

I saw some of commits on some of the flaky tests where you added a sleep
before checking the results.
I think there are more of these but I was holding off thinking it would
be low hanging fruit for a new volunteer :)
But I'll take care if it if not.

I liked Patricia's suggestion of a page for this work.  I'll try to find
if one was started and if not start one.

I'll look into testing the OOO_SUBSEQUENT_TESTS flag also.

It seems building the bvt/fvt tests using ant require an office to have
been built and use idlc and the uno jars from solver like:

test/smoketestdoc.build.xml imports main/ant.properties which includes
OUTDIR=<my-path-to-source>/openoffice/main/solver/450/unxlngx6.pro
OUTDIR is used in the path to idlc and the build fails if I've cleaned
the office build.

I think it would be good if we could use idlc and uno jars from
whichever office is under test so you don't need a build environment
necessarily but I'm still looking at the implications of that.
Please let me know if you have an opinion on that since you've dug a lot
deeper.

Looking ahead I see new tools like testcontainers [1] you can use in
maven and gradle builds for spinning up and disposing of databases,
servers,  and other things for integration tests.

This looks like fertile ground for some work :)

[1] https://www.testcontainers.org/

Thanks,

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
(Originally posted to dev and I forgot to cc this list)

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@gmail.com>.
+1