Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by George Rathbun <ge...@groton.pfizer.com> on 1999/02/04 23:47:05 UTC

general/3838: Netscape browsers looping on authentication when using alias names

>Number:         3838
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Netscape browsers looping on authentication when using alias names
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
We are upgrading to newer release of Netscape and have run into an authentication
problem.  We set up our Apache server with Virtual hosts for many applications.
Each virtual host has a fully qualifies address and an alias (ex: abc.pfizer.com
and abc)  Each virtual host is defined in httpd.conf with the ServerAlias also defined.
Versions of Netscape up to version 4.0.5 worked fine,  I could go to abc.pfizer.com
and authenticate and then if I went to abc, the alias would resolve and I've never
had an issue.  At Netscape version 4.0.6 if I go the fully qualified host (abc.pfizer.com)
and authenticate and then go to the alias (abc) the server and the browser begin
to thrash back and forth.  The server sends a 401 but browser does not send back the
authentication info.  I'm inclined to blame the browser because it is not sending back
the auth info however, when I use Netscape 4.0.6 to access an IIS
(sorry we do have a couple of these) server in the same
manner, I don't get the same problem.  Could I have my server configured incorrectly?
Have you seen this before.  Could Apache be asking the browser the wrong question?
By the way, if I go to the alias first and then to the fully qualified address
and then back to the alias, it works fine.
>How-To-Repeat:
create an apache web site with an .htaccess file with both a fully
qualified address and an alias.  With Netscape 4.5 access the site first using
the fully qualified address.  Next try and access the alias and enjoy watching
the browser and server argue over what the other should be providing.
>Fix:
I've tried all sorts of conf permutations and none seems to work.