Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de> on 2001/11/02 14:14:55 UTC

[AvalonDB] soapification <> rmification

Hi Paul,
I think we should start public discussions. Maybe
(hopefully) some other devs join the party :).

Attached a proposal for a rmification (mostly like soapification).
Maybe you can throw a eye on it, if it is ok.

Cheers
Gerhard

PS: it should compile :)

Re: [AvalonDB] soapification <> rmification

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Gerhard Froehlich wrote:

> I extended the glue class. Now it should
> create and install the remote object.
>
> side question:
> when I extend the my class from a some
> object and not from AbstractLogger, how
> can I get the Logger???

Loggable/AbstractLoggable are not lost--they are
deprecated.  That being said, they have been superceded
by a new interface/base class:

LogEnabled/AbstractLogEnabled

This allows you to use the new
org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.Logger class that
hides the Logging implementation for you.  There are
wrapper classes for each of the major logging packages,
and if you want to write your own simple logger, then
you have the interface to do so.

This alows you to develop with one Logger implementation,
deploy with another--and not have to rewrite your components,
blocks, etc.  The only thing different would be the way
each of the loggers are configured.

> Cheers
> Gerhard

"Those who would trade liberty for
 temporary security deserve neither"
                - Benjamin Franklin

Re: [AvalonDB] soapification <> rmification

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Gerhard,

>>>when I extend the my class from a some
>>>object and not from AbstractLogger, how
>>>can I get the Logger???
>>>
>>That's really cool dude.  As you say we've lost loggable, be there is an
>>interface we can impl for that to get it back.
>>
>Great to have it back...

Look at the source for AbstractLoggable and see that it only implements
Loggable ..

However Berin and others have been working on a replacement.  I guess in
time all blocks hosted here will migrate to the new API.

>>A few problems:
>>
>>1) Can't call it glue as it clashes with the SOAP service of the same name.
>>
>Ok, then I can name it different. I just took the same name as the SOAP
>service (didn't thought much...).
>Hmm copy and paste isn't always best...

he he.

>Ok I see, this proposal needs some more thoughts as a 30min hack :). But
>it was just a proposal and for me a exercise to get familar with phoenix,
>cornerstore, blocks and stuff. I'm more that kind of dev who try, fail
>and learn (ask the people from the cocoon2 project :)).
>Of course it is not a valid cornerstore block and I only wanted some
>new impressions to get behind the scene. And I got it, thanx for the
>patience, mate.

No problem.  Your grasp of Phoenix blocks only days after first landing
here is excellent.

>Let's put that RMI stuff, as you proposed, in our AvalonDB packages.
>And maybe we can indentify a more generic solution later.

Indeed.  You'll see the RemoteException problem immediately.  We'll have
to extend the DatabaseManager interface into a second RMIDatabaseManager
interface add add the appropriate throws clause.

I await your revised submission :-)

As it's POETS day, I'm signing off shortly.

Regards,

- Paul H

RE: [AvalonDB] soapification <> rmification

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Paul
>>I extended the glue class. Now it should
>>create and install the remote object.
>>
>>side question:
>>when I extend the my class from a some
>>object and not from AbstractLogger, how
>>can I get the Logger???
>>
>That's really cool dude.  As you say we've lost loggable, be there is an
>interface we can impl for that to get it back.
Great to have it back...
>A few problems:
>
>1) Can't call it glue as it clashes with the SOAP service of the same name.
Ok, then I can name it different. I just took the same name as the SOAP
service (didn't thought much...).
Hmm copy and paste isn't always best...
>2) you're setting this up as a basic cornerstone block.  We'll need a
>service an RMIification service (which you've implemented by not supplied).
Uups, really. Should be in the zip file...
>3) I am not sure it will work to the same level as Glue does by taking
>*any* interface and publishing that.  All interfaces handled over RMI
>must implement RemoteException (sucks IMHO).
>4) We should really have a fully completed block before booking it into
>cornerstone.  You've left some hopeful TODOs.
>Having said all of that it, like SOAPification hints at a way to "value
>add" an existing service for remote use.  This overlaps with a long
>running discussion on how to generally publish servics over RMI.  Loads
>of options and much debate.  I still owe Peter a re-read of one of his
>emails and a considered reposnse (will do soon Peter).
>In summary, if we do this, I think we can put the class in transport.rmi
>like SoapDatabaseManager...  It will work there and not interfere with
>long terms plans for RMI enablement of services. A very interesting
>solution though..  One that we coul use for other blocks (FtpServer,
> James Etc.)
Ok I see, this proposal needs some more thoughts as a 30min hack :). But
it was just a proposal and for me a exercise to get familar with phoenix,
cornerstore, blocks and stuff. I'm more that kind of dev who try, fail
and learn (ask the people from the cocoon2 project :)).
Of course it is not a valid cornerstore block and I only wanted some
new impressions to get behind the scene. And I got it, thanx for the
patience, mate.

Let's put that RMI stuff, as you proposed, in our AvalonDB packages.
And maybe we can indentify a more generic solution later.

Thanx a lot

Gerhard

Re: [AvalonDB] soapification <> rmification

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Gerhard,

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Last but not least the Glue.xinfo.