Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Chris Price <ch...@puppetlabs.com> on 2016/01/27 23:53:57 UTC

[exec] Stream closed issues with Java 8

Hi,

Have others experienced seeming regressions w/rt Streams using commons-exec
in Java 8?

In particular, I'm running into an issue where if I use commons exec to
call a process that doesn't consume its STDIN, but I have passed a stream
to it as its input via the StreamHandler, it fails with an IOException that
says "Stream closed".  The same program works fine under Java 7.

I've filed an issue on the bug tracker here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EXEC-102

And it seems that maybe at least one other person has had somewhat similar
issues with STDIN and Java 8:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EXEC-101

But I'm trying to sort out whether these are weird edge cases or whether
there are simply known incompatibilities between Java 8 and commons-exec.
If the latter, is there a different library that is recommended for
handling interaction with external processes in Java 8?

Re: [exec] Stream closed issues with Java 8

Posted by Siegfried Göschl <si...@it20one.com>.
Appreciated :-)

Siegfried Goeschl

Posted by Chris Price <ch...@puppetlabs.com>.

Posted by Siegfried Göschl <si...@it20one.com>.
Hi Chris,

IMHO even the weird edge case should work :-)

I'm currently working on various bugfixes for commons-exec but I have limited OSS cycles  :-)

Assuming that this is a production problem do you mind testing a bleeding-edge version?! I would drop you a quick note when a few more problems are fixed - at the moment my fork living at GitHub is, well, shaky

Thanks in advance

Siegfried Goeschl