Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by "Wilson, Matt" <Ma...@salliemae.com> on 2011/09/26 20:07:22 UTC

Indexing specific metadata tags with urlmeta

I am attempting to crawl a corporate intranet site and allow it to be searched in solr.  As part of the requirements I have to be able to index certain metadata tags as their own field in solr (for faceted search).  For example, the pages being crawled contain the following meta tag:

I have updated the nutch-site.xml with the following:

<property>
    <name>plugin.includes</name>
    <value>urlmeta|protocol-httpclient|... </value>
</property>
<property>
    <name>urlmeta.tags</name>
    <value>keywords</value>
</property>

I have updated the solr schema.xml with the following addition:

<field name="keywords" type="string" stored="true" indexed="true" multiValued="true"/>

I can see that the field has been created in Solr via the admin interface.  I also see that nutch is loading the urlmeta plugin and adding the indexfilters etc in the hadroop.log.  The problem is that nutch does not appear to be indexing the keywords field.  All of the pages crawled have the tag present and I am receiving no errors in the nutch log.  I am unsure as to what I am missing.  This seems to be pretty straightforward; however, I must be misunderstanding either the urlmeta plugin or missing something in the configuration.

RE: Indexing specific metadata tags with urlmeta

Posted by "Wilson, Matt" <Ma...@salliemae.com>.
Lewis,

Thanks you for your reply.  I changed the capitalization in the solr/conf/schema.xml file to match that of the field in the crawled html and the other entries in nutch-site.xml.  I had already added the urlmeta.tags property.  Unfortunately I get the same results.  After a successful crawl I execute a query in solr requesting the Keywords field be returned and it appears to have no value.  Any ideas on how I can debug where the issue is?

Thanks,

Matt Wilson

Posted by Marlen <zm...@facinf.uho.edu.cu>.

Re: Indexing specific metadata tags with urlmeta

Posted by Vijith <vi...@gmail.com>.
Im indexing it right away when I am crawling ( using -solr ). Iam
using the 'crawl' command. should I use individual commands for
inject, fetch etc..
l clear off the crawl data and solr index before I crawl. Any clue ?

--
Thanks & Regards

Vijith V

Re: Indexing specific metadata tags with urlmeta

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.

--
*Lewis*

Re: Indexing specific metadata tags with urlmeta

Posted by Vijith <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lewis,

--
Thanks & Regards

Vijith V

Re: Indexing specific metadata tags with urlmeta

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.

--
*Lewis*

Re: Indexing specific metadata tags with urlmeta

Posted by Vijith Kumar V <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I am facing a few problems in using the urlmeta plugin as described in the
pluginwiki.

What I tried so far :-

- followed the wiki page to use urlmeta plugin with a <meta > tag in one of
my webpages and haven't got indexed as I expected.
was not even showing the metatag in the readseg dumps

- then I tried giving the metatags along with the urls in the seed file (
tab seperated ). Meta tags showed up in the dump but querying
solr gave no results.

- then I applied the NUTCH-809 patch >> built nutch etc ... to see if that
works. Same result as the first case ...not in metadata field (readseg dump
) and not in solr results.

- Checking the index with Luke showed NO field named "keywords" (my metatag
name)

So what could be the issue here.
Also I want to know what is the difference between urlmeta and
index-metatags plugins and their exact uses.
I am bit confused when urlmeta wiki tells about adding a <meta> tag to your
html page and still not indexing it
and there exists another plugin index-metatags for the same.

I am a newbie to this please help..

--
*Thanks & Regards*
*

Re: Indexing specific metadata tags with urlmeta

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.

--
*Lewis*

Re: Indexing specific metadata tags with urlmeta

Posted by Elisabeth Adler <el...@gmail.com>.
I haven't tested it with 1.4 myself since we're still working with 1.3,
but I don't think there should be any issues.

Posted by Dean Del Ponte <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Elisabeth Adler <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dean,

Posted by Dean Del Ponte <de...@gmail.com>.
Thank-you for your response.

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dean,

--
*Lewis*

Re: Indexing specific metadata tags with urlmeta

Posted by Dean Del Ponte <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matt,

The plugin urlmeta does NOT extract the metadata from HTML pages. The 'meta'
in its name means 'crawldb metadata'

You need to use the patch in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUTCH-809

HTH

Julien

Posted by "Wilson, Matt" <Ma...@salliemae.com>.
Also,

In case this helps.  I removed the Keywords field from the solr schema to see if it would generate an error when the SolrIndexer runs and it does not.  This has lead me to believe that nutch is either not indexing the meta content or it is not sending the update to solr when SolrIndexer runs.

Matt Wilson

Posted by lewis john mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matt,

Try changing