Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Mike Trotman <mi...@datalucid.com> on 2003/05/14 18:13:35 UTC

FOP - use in PIPE as command line tool.

Is it possible to configure FOP to read standard input for it's FO source?

I want to use it at the end of a pipe (as my intermediate XML documents are
getting very large)
but can't see any options to do this - and I'm not very familiar with Java
so haven't looked at the source code yet.
(If I do spend the time looking through the source it would be helpful to
know that there is a solution in there somewhere)

If it is possible (and should be as it uses SAX processing) any help /
pointers would be appreciated.
If I'm being stupid and there is an easy way to do this I'd appreciate
knowing that as well.

Thanks.

RE: FOP - use in PIPE as command line tool.

Posted by Mike Trotman <mi...@datalucid.com>.
Thanks.

I'll reserve some time soon and see if I can add a command line parameter to
switch to Standard input.
(probably '--' as this keeps '-' as standard input and gets round the
problem of recognising it as an argument rather than another incomplete
command line option.)

There's nothing built-in. You would have to implement it yourself.

On 14.05.2003 18:13:35 Mike Trotman wrote:
> Is it possible to configure FOP to read standard input for it's FO source?
>
> I want to use it at the end of a pipe (as my intermediate XML documents
are
> getting very large)
> but can't see any options to do this - and I'm not very familiar with Java
> so haven't looked at the source code yet.
> (If I do spend the time looking through the source it would be helpful to
> know that there is a solution in there somewhere)
>
> If it is possible (and should be as it uses SAX processing) any help /
> pointers would be appreciated.
> If I'm being stupid and there is an easy way to do this I'd appreciate
> knowing that as well.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: FOP - use in PIPE as command line tool.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
There's nothing built-in. You would have to implement it yourself.

On 14.05.2003 18:13:35 Mike Trotman wrote:
> Is it possible to configure FOP to read standard input for it's FO source?
>
> I want to use it at the end of a pipe (as my intermediate XML documents are
> getting very large)
> but can't see any options to do this - and I'm not very familiar with Java
> so haven't looked at the source code yet.
> (If I do spend the time looking through the source it would be helpful to
> know that there is a solution in there somewhere)
>
> If it is possible (and should be as it uses SAX processing) any help /
> pointers would be appreciated.
> If I'm being stupid and there is an easy way to do this I'd appreciate
> knowing that as well.

Jeremias Maerki