Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Fenlason, Josh" <jf...@ptc.com> on 2006/08/29 17:53:53 UTC

Apache with SSL Problem

I'm running into a strange problem running Apache 2.0.59 with SSL on
Windows 2003.  I built it with Visual Studio 2005.  It runs fine without
SSL.  When I try to startup with SSL enabled, it tries to startup for
several seconds and then stops.  Nothing useful is output to the logs or
console.  It binds to the HTTP and HTTPS ports while it's trying to
startup.  The best I've been able to narrow this down to so far is that
it works when .Net 2.0 Framework is installed and it doesn't when .Net
2.0 Framework is uninstalled.  I've opened Apache.exe with
DependecyWalker, to see if there are any dll issues, and as far as I can
tell the output is the same when Apache works and doesn't work.
Has anyone else had any issues running Apache with SSL built with VS
2005?  I'm building a redistributable binary and don't want to require
installing .Net 2.0 Framework in order to use my Apache.  If anyone has
any thoughts or suggestions, I would be extremely grateful.  Thanks in
advance.
,
Josh.

Re: Apache with SSL Problem

Posted by Steffen <in...@apachelounge.com>.
Like to share my expeience with VC2005

With the Ms run-time libaries there should not be any issue, see link. I build all the stuff  with VC2005 including third party mods and till now not any problem seen from XP to Vista regarding MSVCRT conflicts. Note: All mods I build with VC2005 are working fine with the Apache .msi distribution which is build with VC6, this includes mod_perl build with VC2005.

www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en

You do not really need this form MS,you can also inlude in you distro only msvcrt80.dll and manifest files for your exec files . In fact I did that in the beginning of VC2005, at that time  there was not the above distro from MS (was released in April 2006)

And there are ways to integrate the needed .dll's in a setup program. Quit some companies begin to use VC2005 and  integrating  the needed .dlls or above MS binary distro in their setup.  For example Logitech does it in his software. One drawback is that it is not supported for old Windows versions like 95 and 98 etc.

So no need to install the huge .NET 2.0 framework.

Steffen

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

RE: Apache with SSL Problem

Posted by "Fenlason, Josh" <jf...@ptc.com>.
I just recently discovered, as you already knew, that the MSVC++
Redistributable will resolve my issue.  That's nice because it's a small
download, but it's still something I would like to avoid if at all
possible.
I've built everything with VC 2005, httpd-2.0.59 and OpenSSL0.9.8b.
Thanks for the feedback.
,
Josh.