Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by ro...@agilent.com on 2004/11/22 18:17:10 UTC

Java cannot parse what the DOM creates??

It seems that if I include a non-supported character ^L for example, in
a text node, the DOM will create the document with something like &#12.
However, if I then send that document back into another DOM's parser,
the parser complains that &#12 isn't a valid character. I'm seeing this
in Xerces 2.6 and in java 1.4's Xerces

-Robert

Re: Java cannot parse what the DOM creates??

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.

I presume you mean &12; -- the trailing semicolon is important.

See the XML Specification's description of "numeric character references".
This is absolutely standard XML. Any parser *should* accept it unless it
appears in a place where that character is not legal (in the middle of an
element name, for example).

Re: Java cannot parse what the DOM creates??

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.

Hm. rechecking the XML 1.1  spec, #12; (which is #xC;) is a Restricted
Character...