Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> on 2012/07/22 23:44:32 UTC

@StringLengthFieldValidator for 2.5

I noticed @StringLengthFieldValidator uses String type for minLength
and maxLength. I find this unexpected. Shouldn't we use the int type
for these fields? I would vote to go through the annotations and fix
the types for 2.5 -- since 2.5 is supposed to break backwards
compatibility.

Thoughts?

Paul

Re: @StringLengthFieldValidator for 2.5

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.
In this case JIRA may be a little too opaque. The confluence page is
good for keeping oversight and draft concepts.

Am 7/24/12 8:50 , schrieb Lukasz Lenart:
> Or you can just add an issue with fix version 2.5
>
> 2012/7/24 Łukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>:
>> Here it is [1], basically it was about Struts 3, but Struts 2.5 is
>> more in range now ;-)
>>
>> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/Struts+2.5
>>

>> Regards
>> --
>> Łukasz
>> mobile +48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/
>> Warszawa JUG conference - Confitura http://confitura.pl/
>>
>> 2012/7/24 Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org>:
>>> You are right, these String typed attributes are kind of ugly. It might
>>> be worth changing them for a planned "breaking" release.
>>>
>>> That said, do we have a Confluence page to gather such planned breaking
>>> changes? Remember, we will have only one shot in a longer time period to
>>> make the Struts 2 API break, so we should incorporate *all* changes at once.
>>>
>>> - René

>>> --
>>> René Gielen
>>> http://twitter.com/rgielen

René Gielen
IT-Neering.net
Saarstrasse 100, 52062 Aachen, Germany
Tel: +49-(0)241-4010770
Fax: +49-(0)241-4010771
Cel: +49-(0)163-2844164
http://twitter.com/rgielen

Re: @StringLengthFieldValidator for 2.5

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org>.
Hmm ... obvious enough I could have found it myself :)

--
René Gielen
http://twitter.com/rgielen

Re: @StringLengthFieldValidator for 2.5

Posted by Łukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org>.
You are right, these String typed attributes are kind of ugly. It might
be worth changing them for a planned "breaking" release.

That said, do we have a Confluence page to gather such planned breaking
changes? Remember, we will have only one shot in a longer time period to
make the Struts 2 API break, so we should incorporate *all* changes at once.

- René

Am 7/22/12 23:44 , schrieb Paul Benedict:
> I noticed @StringLengthFieldValidator uses String type for minLength
> and maxLength. I find this unexpected. Shouldn't we use the int type
> for these fields? I would vote to go through the annotations and fix
> the types for 2.5 -- since 2.5 is supposed to break backwards
> compatibility.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Paul

René Gielen