Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com> on 2007/09/20 15:50:56 UTC

RE: Download problem with IE6, IIS 6.0, SSL, Tomcat 6.0.13 and connector1.2.25 (last in date) on Windows Server 2k3

> From: Baldurien [mailto:baldurien@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Download problem with IE6, IIS 6.0, SSL, Tomcat
> 6.0.13 and connector1.2.25 (last in date) on Windows Server 2k3
>
> I've found a reason to my problem : I was sending a Content-Length
> header, albeit I was using GZIP Compression.
>
> What I do not understand, is why the browser could get the content on
> tomcat despise that header, and why the connector could not?

What is the value of the compression attribute for the HTTP <Connector>
in your Tomcat configuration?  The default value is "off", which (I'm
guessing) would inhibit compression despite other settings.  I don't see
a corresponding attribute for the AJP connector, so that might be a
factor in the observed behavior.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Download problem with IE6, IIS 6.0, SSL, Tomcat 6.0.13 and connector1.2.25 (last in date) on Windows Server 2k3

Posted by Baldurien <ba...@gmail.com>.
In fact, it was a gzip compression not on Tomcat side, but in the webapp
itself (using servlet filter). I do not know whether it's better or not,
but it's how it was done.

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Baldurien [mailto:baldurien@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Re: Download problem with IE6, IIS 6.0, SSL, Tomcat
>> 6.0.13 and connector1.2.25 (last in date) on Windows Server 2k3
>>
>> I've found a reason to my problem : I was sending a Content-Length
>> header, albeit I was using GZIP Compression.
>>
>> What I do not understand, is why the browser could get the content on
>> tomcat despise that header, and why the connector could not?
>>

> What is the value of the compression attribute for the HTTP <Connector>
> in your Tomcat configuration?  The default value is "off", which (I'm
> guessing) would inhibit compression despite other settings.  I don't see
> a corresponding attribute for the AJP connector, so that might be a
> factor in the observed behavior.
>
>  - Chuck

Baldurien La Bibliothèque de Neverwinter Nights

Re: Download problem with IE6, IIS 6.0, SSL, Tomcat 6.0.13 and connector1.2.25 (last in date) on Windows Server 2k3

Posted by Baldurien <ba...@gmail.com>.
Martin Gainty wrote:
> good point--
>
> also check your supported types of compressableMimeType
>
> have you observed this behaviour with other agents or just IE6?

I finally managed to test it under Firefox :)

However, I think I can close this thread : without a Content-Length
header set by myself, it works fine. What is sad, is that the user does
not have the real size of what he is downloading, but it is not a real
problem.