Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by rubdabadub <ru...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/09 11:10:37 UTC

production solr - app server choice ?

Hi:

I am wondering what everyone is using when it comes to app server i.e.
Jetty, Resin, Tomcat etc. I have seen the wiki pages .. seems like in
Resin you can setup multiple solr-app (Ryan are you doing this? Sorry
I don't know enough to know what is the benefit of such setup).

What about SUN's glassfish? anyone tried that with Solr? it feels and
looks very glossy :-)

Any specific thing I should look for when testing various app servers.
The site is a local portal and the traffic is very high and I am not
sure if Jetty is enough maybe it is..

Kind Regards

Re: production solr - app server choice ?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Mar 9, 2007, at 6:46 AM, rubdabadub wrote:
> On 3/9/07, Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
>> We use jetty on a few applications with no problem.  I recommend it
>> unless and until you outgrow it (but I doubt you will).   Resin, in
>> my past experience with it, is fantastic.  But no need to even go
>> there until you outgrow Jetty I don't think.  lucenebook.com, for
>> example, is entirely driven by Jetty.
>
> Is it the collex/nine where you have more then 4 mill docs you are
> using jetty?

No.... at NINES - http://www.nines.org/collx - we have just over 60k
documents currently (see the number in the footer).  The index of the
UVa library (3.7M records) is not currently deployed other than on my
laptop.

The number of documents shouldn't matter as far as what app server
you use.  Though I'm not really sure what the variables would be in
determining which app. server is best with Solr.  I don't think
you'll go wrong with Jetty, Tomcat, or Resin - all will respond from
Solr quite rapidly provided you take care of the core Solr caching
concerns and set the JVM properties with enough heap and such to
operate smoothly.

> have a lot of docs i.e. 20 mil and it has bunch of fields i.e 25 per
> doc this is why i worry..
> but i dont think my qps will  as high as I hoped so jetty should be
> just fine.

Testing is the best way to find out, and its fairly easy to switch
app. servers and re-test.  Again, I'd be surprised if the choice of
app. server has much relation to performance in your case.

	Erik

Re: production solr - app server choice ?

Posted by rubdabadub <ru...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Erik!

On 3/9/07, Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> We use jetty on a few applications with no problem.  I recommend it
> unless and until you outgrow it (but I doubt you will).   Resin, in
> my past experience with it, is fantastic.  But no need to even go
> there until you outgrow Jetty I don't think.  lucenebook.com, for
> example, is entirely driven by Jetty.

Is it the collex/nine where you have more then 4 mill docs you are
using jetty? I
have a lot of docs i.e. 20 mil and it has bunch of fields i.e 25 per
doc this is why i worry..
but i dont think my qps will  as high as I hoped so jetty should be just fine.

Thanks again for your help.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by rubdabadub <ru...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the feedback! I was planning to test but I wanted to know what
other were using. I have been using tomcat extensively but got tired of it (no
technical reason).

Jetty sounds too simple so I thought I ask :-) Never tried Resin but it has some
good reputation.

The local portal is using tomcat and it serves approximately 20 req/ second in
peak times. I don't know how high load is this as I have no other
reference. I know for
sure the local portal is no google :-)

I think as Erik mentioned its probably Solr config that will increase
or decrease performance.
I am currently reading up/testing performance pages. Any other advice
is always welcome.

Thanks again for all the input.

Posted by James liu <li...@gmail.com>.

--
regards
jl

Re: production solr - app server choice ?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Rodenburg <je...@gmail.com>.
We're running solr with multiple webapps under Tomcat 5.5.17, runs fine.  We
have it deployed on FC5, FC6 and RHEL4 distros.  Works the same on all of
them, no blocking issues.

>From a general perspective, Bertrand is correct: go with what you know as
long as it meets your needs.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.