Posted to general@gump.apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2004/05/04 18:19:57 UTC

Running Gump (public) on Hermes/Brutus N times a day.

Does anybody have a problem with me scheduling these two to run public Gump
runs 4 times a day, each ? I'd set the cronjobs to run something like:

    brutus:    0,6,12,18
    hermes:    3,9,15,21

Once we get the forrest run out of the picture (sometime, worst case, in
next few weeks I hope) the runs oughtn't take more than an hour or so, so
most of the 6 hours would be idle.

Would folks want these niced?

regards

Adam
--
Experience the Unwired Enterprise:
http://www.sybase.com/unwiredenterprise

Re: Running Gump (public) on Hermes/Brutus N times a day.

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> I don't see a need for "nice" on brutus.  The purpose of that machine is
> to run Gump.  If performance becomes a problem, we can ask for help to
> get the machine to take advantage of it's second CPU and additional
memory.

Ok, cool.

BTW: Remember those nice fast runs? They seem a lot slower these days. I've
not had time to investigate why, but I am curious why the dropped off.  That
said, things seem slow as mollasses today (whereever I touch) and I don't
seem to be able to figure out why.

> When hermes goes into production, we may lose it for Gump purposes.
> Meanwhile, nice there might be a good idea.

Of the two, Hermes is proving more tricky to deal with, for us and for
projects. Not sure if that makes it a shame if it goes away, or a relief
;-).

> Having gump first sniff to see if it is current running and quickly exit
> if so might be a good idea.  Perhaps using some code like this:
>
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/65203

You mean something like this? ;-)

    http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/gump/gumpy.py?view=markup

def establishLock(lockFile):

    failed=0
    info=''
    if 'posix'==os.name:
        import fcntl

        try:
            lock=open(lockFile,'a+')
            fcntl.flock(lock.fileno(), fcntl.LOCK_EX | fcntl.LOCK_NB)
        except:
            failed=1
            info=', and is locked.'

    else:
        if os.path.exists(lockFile):
            failed=1

        # Write this PID into a lock file
        lock=open(lockFile,'w')

    if failed:
        print """The lock file [%s] exists%s.
Either Gump is still running, or it terminated very abnormally.
Please resolve this (waiting or removing the lock file) before retrying.
        """ % (lockFile, info)
        sys.exit(1)

    # Leave a mark...
    lock.write(`os.getpid()`)
    lock.flush()

    return lock

regards

Adam

Re: Running Gump (public) on Hermes/Brutus N times a day.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> Does anybody have a problem with me scheduling these two to run public Gump
> runs 4 times a day, each ? I'd set the cronjobs to run something like:
>
>     brutus:    0,6,12,18
>     hermes:    3,9,15,21
>
> Once we get the forrest run out of the picture (sometime, worst case, in
> next few weeks I hope) the runs oughtn't take more than an hour or so, so
> most of the 6 hours would be idle.
>
> Would folks want these niced?

I don't see a need for "nice" on brutus.  The purpose of that machine is
to run Gump.  If performance becomes a problem, we can ask for help to
get the machine to take advantage of it's second CPU and additional memory.

When hermes goes into production, we may lose it for Gump purposes.
Meanwhile, nice there might be a good idea.

Having gump first sniff to see if it is current running and quickly exit
if so might be a good idea.  Perhaps using some code like this:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/65203

- Sam Ruby

Re: Running Gump (public) on Hermes/Brutus N times a day.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

-- dims