Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by martin <in...@aromamedical.org> on 2015/02/01 15:05:34 UTC

problem with .docx

I am just setting up a computer running windows 7 64 bit. I was hoping
to not have to load my old version of MS office at all, but I can't seem
to save to a .docx file in Open Office as it is not in the drop down
list.  Do I have to save an old .doc in another format and then convert
to .docx or what?

Regards
Martin Watt

Re: problem with .docx

Posted by M Henri Day <mh...@gmail.com>.

> I am just setting up a computer running windows 7 64 bit. I was hoping
> to not have to load my old version of MS office at all, but I can't seem
> to save to a .docx file in Open Office as it is not in the drop down
> list.  Do I have to save an old .doc in another format and then convert
> to .docx or what?
>
> Regards
> Martin Watt

​Martin, which version of OpenOffice are you using ?​
​ Surely one can save a document one has created as a .docx file in the
latest, 4.1.1 version ?...

Henri​

RE: problem with .docx

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Martin,

Apache OpenOffice does not export to OOXML formats (including
Microsoft Office .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx forms of OOXML).  There
is only provision for saving to the older formats (.doc, .xls, .ppt).

Current versions of LibreOffice do support export as well as import
And that might work for your needs to interchange using the OOXML-
based Office formats.

Either way, I recommend running side-by-side with Microsoft Office
until you are satisfied that there is adequate fidelity and feature
preservation when you need to employ Microsoft Office formats.

 -- replying to --
I am just setting up a computer running windows 7 64 bit. I was hoping
to not have to load my old version of MS office at all, but I can't seem
to save to a .docx file in Open Office as it is not in the drop down
list.  Do I have to save an old .doc in another format and then convert
to .docx or what?

Regards
Martin Watt

 - Dennis

PS: You have reached a public mailing list on which volunteers contribute to questions from other users like themselves.  For any follow-up, please reply to users@openoffice.apache.org where expert users can offer further advice and others can learn the solutions others have found.  Advisors on this list do not promise to respond to questions sent directly to their email addresses.  To observe questions and solutions posted to the list, you are welcome to subscribe to users@openoffice.apache.org by sending an e-mail with any subject to users-subscribe@openoffice.apache.org from the mail account where you wish to receive posts made to the  list.
  The OpenOffice Forums have an extensive knowledge base at https://forum.openoffice.org/ that you can browse through as well.

Re: problem with .docx

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 02/01/2015 10:15 AM, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> martin schrieb:
>> I am just setting up a computer running windows 7 64 bit. I was hoping
>> to not have to load my old version of MS office at all, but I can't seem
>> to save to a .docx file in Open Office as it is not in the drop down
>> list.  Do I have to save an old .doc in another format and then convert
>> to .docx or what?
>
> Apache Open Office hasn't got an export filter to .docx. Why do you
> need such? If the recipient owns a new MS Office, it can read .odt
> files. If the recipient has an old MS Office, you should use .doc. For
> your own purpose you should always use .odt and only convert on
> demand, if a recipient forces you to use another file format.
>
> The office suites have differences in their capabilities, which
> prevent, that the .odt and .docx formats are 100% convertible to each
> other. So there is always a risc in converting.
>
> LibreOffice has got .docx export filters via www.osb-alliance.de.
> Maybe you install LibreOffice in addition.
>
> Or you install MS Office. If you have got a valid license already,
> what is the problem?
>
> Kind regards
> Regina
As a side note, I do have LibreOffice (LO) installed, which means that I
am able to save in the DOCX format, but, I still opt for DOC if
permissible because DOC is better supported than DOCX. I am not saying
that I have had problems exporting as DOCX when I have done it, just
that I rarely need DOCX format.

If you have a hard requirement for producing DOCX formats, install LO.
If you are able to use DOC formats, you have that with AOO (Apache
OpenOffice).

If you have very special case formatting in your documents, it is
possible that you must use exactly the same version of MS Word as your
target audience uses since there are often discrepancies in corner cases
such as certain positioning of floating images and frames. In this case
you are always best served to verify that the target application is used
to open and test the document for proper rendering. Many years ago I had
issues in this regard, so I simply changed how I chose to format the
document and I used methods that translated well into the target format.
That was long enough ago that it may be like recommending that you bring
an extra 5 tires with you for your trip to Florida because the rubber is
bad and you will likely have a bunch of flats. The roads and the rubber
are better than 100 years ago and that advice is no longer required. I
have no idea how it applies to the current batch of software, but, I am
always paranoid.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

Re: problem with .docx

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Martin,

Re: problem with .docx

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 02/01/2015 11:28 AM, Doug wrote:
> On 02/01/2015 09:05 AM, martin wrote:
>> I am just setting up a computer running windows 7 64 bit. I was hoping
>> to not have to load my old version of MS office at all, but I can't seem
>> to save to a .docx file in Open Office as it is not in the drop down
>> list.  Do I have to save an old .doc in another format and then convert
>> to .docx or what?
>>
>> Regards
>> Martin Watt
>>

> I'm pretty sure that anything that can read docx can read doc 1997,
> which is pretty much a standard. No reason to convert to docx.
> Alternatively, you could use the products from Softmaker Office,
> either the free or the paid, and that will read and write docx with no
> problem.
> (I have no pecuniary interest in Softmaker.)

Thanks for saying that Doug! Wish I had noticed your post before I
replied. I am usually ok if I send a DOC file, but, sometimes I am
contractually obligated to a DOCX file; sadly.

Re: problem with .docx

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.
On 02/01/2015 09:05 AM, martin wrote:
> I am just setting up a computer running windows 7 64 bit. I was hoping
> to not have to load my old version of MS office at all, but I can't seem
> to save to a .docx file in Open Office as it is not in the drop down
> list.  Do I have to save an old .doc in another format and then convert
> to .docx or what?
>
> Regards
> Martin Watt

I'm pretty sure that anything that can read docx can read doc 1997, which is pretty much a standard. No reason to convert to docx.
Alternatively, you could use the products from Softmaker Office, either the free or the paid, and that will read and write docx with no problem.
(I have no pecuniary interest in Softmaker.)

--doug