Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Steve Cowx <st...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/22 23:28:05 UTC

Concerned about the future of Tapestry

Hi Howard, All

The following sound bites seem to paint a pretty bleak future for Tapestry.

1) "Interestingly, I was busy writing Clojure code almost continuously in
the back row of other speaker's sessions .....I've been busy adapting the
concept of parameter destructuring to pulling data out of the request path
and query parameters." - HLS, today.  Writing what sounds like the
groundwork for a new web application framework, presumably better than
Tapestry.

2) "I'm using my improved freedom to pursue other important technologies *
beyond* Tapestry, such as Clojure, Cappuccino, and CouchDB" - HLS, August 27

Despite what appears to be a healthy community, a solid code base and set of
hard working committers I am still inclined to believe that the driving
force  behind the innovation in Tapestry is still you Howard.  In my mind
your move to different technologies signifies a loss of faith in Java and
implies a sense of frustration with the limits of what is possible with T5.

Can anyone set my mind at ease with some real facts about the future of
Tapestry?  I have invested a year or more in learning the framework and
applying what I know to creating a web application with it but as a
developer I need to know that my code won't just be another rewrite waiting
to happen.

The alternative, JSF, may be clunky but at least I can be certain that it
will be around and evolving in 5 years time.

Regards

Steve

Re: Concerned about the future of Tapestry

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Em Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:28:05 -0300, Steve Cowx <st...@gmail.com>
escreveu:

> Hi Howard, All

Hi!

> Can anyone set my mind at ease with some real facts about the future of
> Tapestry?

Please englighten us about what these real facts could be. You've just
stated some real facts about why you shouldn't be worried by the future of
Tapestry 5. :)

> The alternative, JSF, may be clunky but at least I can be certain that it
> will be around and evolving in 5 years time.

They haven't got JSF right until now, 5 years after the first release, and
won't get so soon, as its overengineered nature will severely hurt any
attempt to improve it whithout backward-incompatible changes.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://www.arsmachina.com.br/thiago

Re: Concerned about the future of Tapestry

Posted by Steve Cowx <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Howard
**
*"I'm committed to Tapestry even beyond what it represents as a revenue
stream. I expect to see more
releases like 5.1 ... compatible, with new features that seamlessly plug
into existing applications.
More importantly, I want to make the documentation better (in book form, and
online)."*

Perfect, thank you.

Regards

Steve

--
Kind regards

Stephen Cowx
+44 (0) 7748 490 323
+44 (0) 1306 740 523

Re: Concerned about the future of Tapestry

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Steve Cowx <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Howard, All
>
> The following sound bites seem to paint a pretty bleak future for Tapestry.

Anything but!

> 1) "Interestingly, I was busy writing Clojure code almost continuously in
> the back row of other speaker's sessions .....I've been busy adapting the
> concept of parameter destructuring to pulling data out of the request path
> and query parameters." - HLS, today.  Writing what sounds like the
> groundwork for a new web application framework, presumably better than
> Tapestry.
>
> 2) "I'm using my improved freedom to pursue other important technologies *
> beyond* Tapestry, such as Clojure, Cappuccino, and CouchDB" - HLS, August
> 27
>
> Despite what appears to be a healthy community, a solid code base and set
> of
> hard working committers I am still inclined to believe that the driving
> force  behind the innovation in Tapestry is still you Howard.  In my mind
> your move to different technologies signifies a loss of faith in Java and
> implies a sense of frustration with the limits of what is possible with T5.
>
> Can anyone set my mind at ease with some real facts about the future of
> Tapestry?  I have invested a year or more in learning the framework and
> applying what I know to creating a web application with it but as a
> developer I need to know that my code won't just be another rewrite waiting
> to happen.

Several years ago I posted something about Ruby and there was a flurry of
abandoning Java?"  Guess what ... I didn't.

I'm committed to Tapestry even beyond what it represents as a revenue
stream. I expect to see more
releases like 5.1 ... compatible, with new features that seamlessly plug
into existing applications.
More importantly, I want to make the documentation better (in book form, and
online).

In fact, if I never committed another line of code to Tapestry but JUST
wrote a definitive book on it,
that would do more to extend the life and acceptance of Tapestry than
anything else
I could possibly do!

> The alternative, JSF, may be clunky but at least I can be certain that it
> will be around and evolving in 5 years time.

Yes, they may have gotten through one round of improvement by then :-)

> Regards
>
> Steve

Steve,

I'm afraid you misunderstand how innovation occurs ... it doesn't happen by
locking someone in a basement
so they can focus on only one thing. Innovation comes from learning
different ideas, different languages,
different technologies and expanding your mind around them.

The Pragmatic Programmers emphasize learning a new language every year and I
like to learn a new technology more often than that.

Many of the innovations you see in Tapestry are ideas that came from other
areas, in other guises.

So don't worry, I'm going to have my fingers in a few different pies ... and
I'm going to learn new things and adapt them back into Tapestry. That's how
I've been working for
20+ years now.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

The source for Tapestry training, mentoring and support. Contact me to learn