Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Dhruba Borthakur <dh...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2007/06/01 09:01:35 UTC

RE: HDFS, appending-writes status

Hi Ali,

>From what I know, there are quite a few applications that need
append-to-exisiting-file feature. Since there is a demand for it, HDFS will
probably implement it in the near future. I do not know of precise
time-frames yet.

Do you have an application that requires appending-writes to files. If so,
it will be helpful to understand the type and behaviour of this application.

Thanks,
dhruba

Posted by Michael Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
HBase is another application that needs write-append.

Every HBase update is written both to a RAM-based and file-system-based
log.  On a period the RAM-based log is flushed to the filesystem.  The
RAM-based log and its flushes are used fielding queries.

The sympathetic file-system-based log is meant to act as insurance
against machine crashes.  On recovery, the file-system-based log is
supposed to be replayed to catch-up on all updates that happened after
the last RAM-based log flush and before machine crash.

Currently the file-system-based log is being written to HDFS though its
near-to-useless since the log is only seen after its closed.

Thanks,
St.Ack

P.S. Bdbje writing its logs to HDFS would be pretty cool.

Posted by Ali Salehi <al...@epfl.ch>.
Hi,