Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "Tim K. (Gmane)" <tk...@ugcs.net> on 2005/03/24 19:53:34 UTC

Axis and .NET interop with dates

Hello,

What is the best way to pass dates back and forth from Java/Axis to .NET?

If you have a Java method to be exposed as a web service that returns a
date or takes as input a date, what should the Java type be? Date,
Calendar, long, String representation?

Are there any differences depending on the encoding to be used, e.g.
rpc/encoded or wrapped doc/lit?

Thank you.

--
Tim

Re: Axis and .NET interop with dates

Posted by Ellecer Valencia <el...@gmail.com>.
I would add that .Net has a problem with dates that are defined in
your schema as nillable="true".  Might be safer to just pass around
strings and tell your client what is the format to use - ie, dates in
UCT, in yyyymmddhhss format.

references:

http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Axis/DotNetInterop
http://blogs.msdn.com/smguest/archive/2004/05/07/128113.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfSystemXmlSerializationXmlSerializerClassTopic.asp

ellecer

Posted by James Black <jb...@ieee.org>.

Re: Axis and .NET interop with dates

Posted by "Tim K. (Gmane)" <tk...@ugcs.net>.
So is there a way to make a Java Date/Calendar just interoperate with
the .NET DateTime type whithout any of the sides to make any
conversions? I understand that in .NET DateTime can be converted to a
long but it represents "the number of 100-nanosecond intervals that have
elapsed since 12:00 A.M., January 1, 0001"

Tim

Posted by James Black <jb...@ieee.org>.