Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com> on 2000/07/06 05:40:51 UTC

ANN: NASSL Toolkit v1.0 released on alphaWorks

Hello,

We just released the first version of a toolkit for NASSL. This release
contains two tools: one for generating client-side stubs (or proxies)
to talk to a SOAP service and another for generating a server-side
skeleton and the deployment descriptor. We currently only support
primitive schema types, but full structured type support is on the way.

A NASSL file for the stock quote demo in IBM-SOAP v1.2 is included as
a demo of the toolkit.

Note that this release of the toolkit requires IBM-SOAP v1.2 for the
generated stubs. The next release will provide support for Apache SOAP.

The toolkit is available for download from the alphaWorks IBM-SOAP
downloads page:
    http://www.alphaWorks.ibm.com/tech/soap4j
and click on downloads and download nassl10.zip.

Comments, suggestions and bugs are most welcome as usual!

Matthew J. Duftler
Francisco Curbera
Sanjiva Weerawarana
Tian Zhao

Re: NASSL Toolkit v1.0 released on alphaWorks

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.
I'm afraid so .. the NASSL toolkit is not an open-source release at
this point. There are several reasons: first we need to get internal
approval, but that's doable (we got the SOAP stuff approval done
in < 3 days). We can release the source, but the real point is to
become an open-source project. However, given that there are several
languages in the service descriptions space (SIDL, SDL and NASSL at
least) its a bit premature for say Apache to start a project around
one of these. I would really like to see a unification of these.

We will continue to release versions of the NASSL Toolkit as fast
as possible with richer and richer support. If you have specific
requirements, please do let us know and we'll do our best to get
them taken care of!

Sanjiva.

Posted by Mike Christiansen <mi...@riverbendsystems.com>.
Releasing source is not common practice for AlphaWorks. I'm NOT overly
criticizing them or attempting to diminish the contributions they have made
to the community e.g. XML4J and SOAP. However, the stuff they release (and
I speak from direct experience) is often buggy, poorly documented, and
incomplete. Further, they (AlphaWorks) has a habit of dropping support for
useful tools. Their XBeans tool a good example. Great idea that never
really worked and without source code there was no way to support / fix it.
Finally, someone lost interest and the tool was withdrawn from their site.

All I'm saying is that I wish IBM / AlphaWorks would make it standard
practice to release source for all their tools and allow the developer
community to help support the great work they are doing.

Mike

Posted by Mike Christiansen <mi...@riverbendsystems.com>.