Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com> on 2015/11/13 21:38:50 UTC

[VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Hi.
With no strong objections on DISCUSS thread, some issues raised and
addressed, and a reminder from Carl about the bylaws for the release
process, I propose we release the first version of Hive 2 (2.0), and
nominate myself as release manager.
The goal is to have the first release of Hive with aggressive set of new
features, some of which are ready to use and some are at experimental
stage and will be developed in future Hive 2 releases, in line with the
Hive-1-Hive-2 split discussion.
If the vote passes, the timeline to create a branch should be around the
end of next week (to minimize merging in the wake of the release), and the
timeline to release would be around the end of November, depending on the
issues found during the RC cutting process, as usual.

Please vote:
+1 proceed with the release plan
+-0 don’t care
-1 don’t proceed with the release plan, for such and such reasons

The vote will run for 3 days.

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Alan.

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Dmitry Tolpeko <dm...@gmail.com>.
+1

Dmitry

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>.
Yeah I will send an update. There were a few more blockers and now again one remains.

From: Hanish Bansal <ha...@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 22:00
To: "user@hive.apache.org<ma...@hive.apache.org>" <us...@hive.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Thanks sergey for quick response.

I would request you to update on this group when you cut out RC for 2.0.

Regards,
Hanish Bansal

On 20-Jan-2016 12:21 am, "Sergey Shelukhin" <se...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:
Hi.
There are 2 blockers for Hive 2.0 currently. One is about to be committed, and another is in progress, or may be pushed out soon.
I am planning to cut an RC for Hive 2.0 this week.

From: Hanish Bansal <ha...@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 10:08
To: "user@hive.apache.org<ma...@hive.apache.org>" <us...@hive.apache.org>>

Hi,

I would like to know any update about release plan for Hive 1.3.0 or 2.0.0 ??

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 12:56 AM, Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hive 2.0 will not be 100% backwards compatible with 1.x.  The following JIRA link shows JIRAs already committed to 2.0 that break compatibility:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20HIVE%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.0.0%20AND%20%22Hadoop%20Flags%22%20%3D%20%22Incompatible%20change%22

HIVE-12429 is not yet committed but may also make the list.

In summary, the biggest changes are that Hadoop 1.x is no longer supported, MapReduce as an engine is deprecated (though still supported for now), and HIVE-12429 proposes to switch the standard authorization model to SQL Standard Auth instead of the current default.

The goal from the beginning was for 2.0 to be allowed to break compatibility where necessary while branch-1 and subsequent 1.x releases would maintain backwards compatibility with the 1.x line.

Alan.

[cid:part1.07010802.08040703@gmail.com]
John Omernik<ma...@omernik.com>
November 30, 2015 at 9:25
Agreed, any plans for Hive 1.3?  Will Hive 2.0 be a breaking release for those running 1.x?

[cid:part1.07010802.08040703@gmail.com]
Wangwenli<ma...@huawei.com>
November 15, 2015 at 17:07
Good News,   Any release plan for hive 1.3  ???

________________________________
Wangwenli
[cid:part1.07010802.08040703@gmail.com]
Gopal Vijayaraghavan<ma...@apache.org>
November 13, 2015 at 22:21

(+user@)

+1.

Cheers,
Gopal

On 11/13/15, 5:54 PM, "Lefty Leverenz" <le...@gmail.com> wrote:

(even though users don't get to vote).  See Release Plan in Actions
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Bylaws#Bylaws-Actions><https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Bylaws#Bylaws-Actions>.

-- Lefty

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Sergey Shelukhin <

sergey@hortonworks.com<ma...@hortonworks.com>>

wrote:

[...]

+-0 don¹t care
-1 don¹t proceed with the release plan, for such and such reasons

The vote will run for 3 days.

[cid:part1.07010802.08040703@gmail.com]
Lefty Leverenz<ma...@gmail.com>
November 13, 2015 at 17:54
The Hive bylaws require this to be submitted on the user@hive mailing list
(even though users don't get to vote). See Release Plan in Actions
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Bylaws#Bylaws-Actions><https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Bylaws#Bylaws-Actions>.

-- Lefty

[cid:part1.07010802.08040703@gmail.com]
Thejas Nair<ma...@gmail.com>
November 13, 2015 at 16:33
+1

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Vaibhav Gumashta

--
Thanks & Regards
Hanish Bansal

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Hanish Bansal <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi.

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Hanish Bansal <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com>.

Posted by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com>.

Posted by Wangwenli <wa...@huawei.com>.

From: Gopal Vijayaraghavan<ma...@hortonworks.com>
Date: 2015-11-14 14:21
To: dev@hive.apache.org<ma...@hive.apache.org>
CC: user@hive.apache.org<ma...@hive.apache.org>

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Gopal Vijayaraghavan <go...@apache.org>.
(+user@)

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>.
Hmm. I looked at the JIRAs targeting the release and it looks like there’s
large number of features still pending.
I am going to postpone creating the branch to next week.
I am also going to unassign JIRAs from the release at that time.

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>.
Including the user list.

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>.
Including the user list.

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Gopal Vijayaraghavan <go...@apache.org>.
(+user@)

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.
+1

(Re-adding user@hive.apache.org.)

-- Lefty

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan

Posted by Prasanth Jayachandran <pj...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

Thanks
Prasanth
> On Nov 13, 2015, at 4:26 PM, Vaibhav Gumashta <vg...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> +1
>
> Thanks,
> --Vaibhav
>

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 2:24 PM -0800, "Tristram de Lyones" <de...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> +1
>
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>> With no strong objections on DISCUSS thread, some issues raised and
>> addressed, and a reminder from Carl about the bylaws for the release
>> process, I propose we release the first version of Hive 2 (2.0), and
>> nominate myself as release manager.
>> The goal is to have the first release of Hive with aggressive set of new
>> features, some of which are ready to use and some are at experimental
>> stage and will be developed in future Hive 2 releases, in line with the
>> Hive-1-Hive-2 split discussion.
>> If the vote passes, the timeline to create a branch should be around the
>> end of next week (to minimize merging in the wake of the release), and the
>> timeline to release would be around the end of November, depending on the
>> issues found during the RC cutting process, as usual.
>>
>> Please vote:
>> +1 proceed with the release plan
>> +-0 don’t care
>> -1 don’t proceed with the release plan, for such and such reasons
>>
>> The vote will run for 3 days.

Thanks
-- Prasanth

Re: [VOTE] Hive 2.0 release plan