Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Saadiq Rodgers-King <sa...@nyc.rr.com> on 2002/11/13 02:49:16 UTC

Embperl returning no data

I've done a little more research on my problem that I mentioned in my
previous email "XP IE specific display issues?".  The problem doesn't
seem to be XP or Windows specific, although it does seem to be more
obvious on that platform.

saadiq@moko:~$ wget -S -O /dev/null --http-user=blah --http-passwd=blah http://www.blah.com/bronze.epl
--20:03:31--  http://www.blah.com/bronze.epl
           => `/dev/null'
Resolving www.blah.com... done.
Connecting to www.blah.com[IP snipped]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
20:03:31 ERROR -1: No data received.

As you can see from the wget output above, periodically, Embperl returns
no data for a page.  In those cases, as I've mentioned before, Apache
doesn't log a request (or any errors).  I've even upgraded Embperl to
the latest in CVS (2.0b9-dev3?) and it has no effect on my problem.

Are there optimizations or configurations I might try?  Or maybe I'm
looking in the wrong place.  Anyone aware of issues with mod_perl like
this?  I'm only ruling out Apache because there doesn't seem to be any
problem with regular html files.

Thanks for any ideas.

Saadiq

Re: Embperl returning no data

Posted by Saadiq Rodgers-King <sa...@nyc.rr.com>.
I have confirmed that 1.3.4 works fine.  :-\  I guess I'll have to stick
with that until this is sorted out.

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 07:27:09PM -0500, Saadiq Rodgers-King scribbled:

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> Is there a configuration option or maybe a special variable that would
> allow me to turn off dynamic table handling?  Maybe that would help me
> determine more consistently if the bug you mentioned is my issue.  Or is
> that what "$maxrow" and "$maxcol" are for?  Thanks.

$maxrow and $maxcol limits the maximum size of a dynamic table. To turn
dynamic tables of put a

[$ syntax EmbperlBlocks $]

at the top of the page or

Embperl_Syntax EmbperlBlocks

in your httpd.conf. But be aware this tuns of handling of all html tags,
like input etc.

>From the additional backtraces you send meI don't think it's a problem of
tables, but it looks like a problem of the configuration handling. Can you
send me your httpd.conf?

Gerald

P.S. I am currently on ApacheCon so I can't do much, but I hope to sort this
out soon after I am back

Re: Embperl returning no data

Posted by Saadiq Rodgers-King <sa...@nyc.rr.com>.
On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 09:21:23AM +0100, Gerald Richter scribbled:

> > Well, you were right.  The httpd was crashing.
>
> Not quite, the backtrace shows:
>
> Program received signal SIGPIPE, Broken pipe.
>
> This is not really a crash, but looks like a timeout (the client stops
> waiting for the repsonse)
>
> Is it possible that the output takes a long time or gets huge?
>
> I recently discoverd a bug in dynamic table handling, which causes sometimes
> tables to explode. Could you try to add
>
> [-
> $maxrow = 2 ;
> $maxcol = 2 ;
> -]
>
> at the top of your page. Does this change anything?

Yes, it does from wget and Phoenix.  It makes the httpd segfaults less
frequent.  When clicking around without your code I can get httpd to
crash pretty consistently.  With the 2 lines you sent added to the top
of the file, I don't see the crashes as often.  Though, if I use shift
refresh in my browser (Phoenix) I can still get it to happen.

On the other hand, tests from IE still see the same frequency of
failure.

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> Well, you were right.  The httpd was crashing.

Not quite, the backtrace shows:

Program received signal SIGPIPE, Broken pipe.

This is not really a crash, but looks like a timeout (the client stops
waiting for the repsonse)

Is it possible that the output takes a long time or gets huge?

I recently discoverd a bug in dynamic table handling, which causes sometimes
tables to explode. Could you try to add

[-
$maxrow = 2 ;
$maxcol = 2 ;
-]

at the top of your page. Does this change anything?

> Oh, I replied directly to you only because I didn't think that the rest
> of the list would benefit from the backtrace.  Let me know if that
> assumption was incorrect.  Thanks.

That's ok, but now I am moving it back to the list

Gerald

Re: Embperl returning no data

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> saadiq@moko:~$ wget -S -O /dev/null --http-user=blah --http-passwd=blah
http://www.blah.com/bronze.epl
> --20:03:31--  http://www.blah.com/bronze.epl
>            => `/dev/null'
> Resolving www.blah.com... done.
> Connecting to www.blah.com[IP snipped]:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
> 20:03:31 ERROR -1: No data received.

Maybe the httpd is crashing, try to start it with -X option and see if it is
still alive after such a failed request. If it crash, please send me a
stackbacktrace:

compile Embperl with

perl Makefile.PL debug
make install

and then start the httpd with the -X option under gdb

gdb httpd
set args -f httpd.conf -X

when you get the sigsegv type BT and send me the backtrace

Gerald