Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by sa...@ca.ibm.com on 2002/04/06 00:41:52 UTC

JDK 1.1.8 compatibility

Time to pick this topic up: should we still keep 1.1.8 compatibility, when
JDK 1.4 is coming out?

To keep such compatibility
- We can't use new functionality provided by new JDK's (for example,
collection interfaces); and
- We have to sacrifice performance. Hashtable's and Vector's are used,
which are (painfully) synchronized.

We think it's time to move on to JDK 1.2. Anyone has any concerns about it?

Cheers,
Sandy Gao
Software Developer, IBM Canada
(1-905) 413-3255
sandygao@ca.ibm.com

Re: JDK 1.1.8 compatibility

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@metalab.unc.edu>.
At 5:41 PM -0500 4/5/02, sandygao@ca.ibm.com wrote:
>Time to pick this topic up: should we still keep 1.1.8 compatibility, when
>JDK 1.4 is coming out?

MacOS 9 does not support Java 1.2 and probably never will. The
Microsoft virtual machine does not support Java 1.2 and probably
never will. The Netscape 4.x virtual machine does not support Java
1.2 and probably never will. If you want  Xerces to abandon these
platforms and more, you're going to have demonstrate something
significant that will be gained by doing so.

>To keep such compatibility
>- We can't use new functionality provided by new JDK's (for example,
>collection interfaces); and
>- We have to sacrifice performance. Hashtable's and Vector's are used,
>which are (painfully) synchronized.

No you don't. If you don't want to pay the cost of the Hashtable or
Vector then write your own unsynchronized Hashtable or List class.
Nobody's forcing you to use java.util.Hashtable and java.util.Vector.
These are pretty basic data structures taught in any decent CS201
course. There is little to no reason to tie ourselves to the Java
Collections API if it's inconvenient to do so.

>We think it's time to move on to JDK 1.2. Anyone has any concerns about it?

Why do you need to do this? What will you gain? XML parsing is a
fairly algorithmic procedure that can be implemented in any
reasonable language. What is the use-case for Java 1.2? What can it
do for us that Java 1.1 can't?

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |

Re: JDK 1.1.8 compatibility

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Note: My auto-reply to this thread went to the xerces-j-user list.

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org

Re: JDK 1.1.8 compatibility

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@metalab.unc.edu>.

Re: JDK 1.1.8 compatibility

Posted by John Utz <ut...@singingfish.com>.
Well, if you stop supporting 1.1.8 then you will remove FreeBSD from the
list of platforms that you support.

the only licensed binary for FreeBSD is 1.1.8

note that there is a functioning version of 1.3.1 for FreeBSD 4.5, but
it's not *licensed* yet, so it has to be built from src and the src has to
be obtained from sun each time ( so that the license get's clicked
) and the patches have to be obtained from somewhere else and you
have to install the linux 1.3.1 binary to build it, so that means
that you have to install the linux emulation/compat stuff...blah,
blah, blah.

it's not an impossible process, but it's a pretty major
barrier to entry. :-(

so i would ask you to continue to support 1.1.8 unless it's just too
painful.

tnx!

johnu

Re: JDK 1.1.8 compatibility