Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Kenji Nakamura <ke...@cygent.com> on 2002/04/18 00:45:22 UTC

redirect Writer output to log4j?

Hello,

I'm writing an application utilizing WebGain's TOPLink, which is an object-relational mapping tool. The library has an API to dump log message and it is done by passing a java.io.Writer object into the method.

It looks like this;
session.setLog(new PrintWriter(System.out));
session.logMessage(); // turn on logging mode
(Activities dump log to System.out continuously)

I'd like to redirect TOPLink's messages to log4j. Is there a way to obtain a Writer object from log4j? I think writing an appender is not solution because I want to put in the info into log4j and take advantage of log4j's nice features such as delivering multiple appenders.

Thanks in advance,

----
Kenji Nakamura

Re: redirect Writer output to log4j?

Posted by Kevin Steppe <ks...@pacbell.net>.
I'd make an extension to PrintWriter that sends things to log4j.  Something like:

class Log4jWriter extends PrintWriter
{
    Logger log = Logger.getLogger("Log4jWriter for TOPLink");

    public void println(String message)
    {
        log.debug(message);
    }

}

Then:
session.setLog(new Log4jWriter());

Of course you'll need to deal with a few more methods and some edge cases, but that should give you an idea.

Kevin