Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> on 2020/11/13 08:10:29 UTC

Cassandra 4.0 dropping support for older distributions Centos 5, Debian 4, Ubuntu 7.10

CASSANDRA-16212 is about to be committed to trunk, upgrading JNA from 4.2.2
to 5.6.0.

This will mean that Cassandra 4.0 requires a glibc-2.7 or greater system.

Consequences of this will be the following distributions will no longer be
supported
 - Centos 5 (and earlier), (EOL was 2017-03-31),
 - Debian 4 Etch (and earlier), (EOL was 2010-02-15)
 - Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon (and earlier), (EOL was 2009-04-18)

Given the EOL dates to those distributions I don't see this being a
problem, but am raising it for visibility just in case. Speak up if there's
objections. It will be listed in NEWS.txt

regards,
Mick

Re: Cassandra 4.0 dropping support for older distributions Centos 5, Debian 4, Ubuntu 7.10

Posted by Scott Andreas <sc...@paradoxica.net>.
Thanks for flagging this, Mick!

No concern from me as all EOL dates for these distributions have long passed and agreed that a NEWS entry is a good way to surface to users.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Capwell <dc...@gmail.com>.