Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tony Butt <To...@cea.com.au> on 2011/08/01 06:50:36 UTC

Subversion Branch/Merge Graphical Display

I have been looking around at various tools which graphically display
subversion history for some time now.

In the past 3 months, we have changed our processes here to make more
use of Branching and Merging, in an effort to maintain a stable trunk.
Development tasks are performed on Branches. They are reviewed and
tested with design reviews, code reviews, integrated system tests, ...

Some tools (noticeably TortoiseSVN and kdesvn) are quite capable of
showing the branch history. I have found nothing which is capable of
showing merge history. I would have thought that with the advent of
svn:mergeinfo, that sufficient information is present to deduce the
merges.

Since it has not been done, I can only assume that the task is
non-trivial (certainly), probably difficult, and perhaps not practical.
Is that correct?

In any event, does anyone know of a tool which will provide such a
history?

Thanks in advance,

--
Tony Butt <tj...@cea.com.au>
CEA Technologies

Re: Subversion Branch/Merge Graphical Display

Posted by Andreas Krey <a....@gmx.de>.
On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 14:50:36 +0000, Tony Butt wrote:
> In any event, does anyone know of a tool which will provide such a
> history?

I have the same question, as the only (more or less) practical way I
know of is using 'git svn' and gitk.

The tools I knew and forgot only showed the history tree for a single
file, not for a tree (where there may be partial merges between branches).

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 07:29:21 -0800

Re: Subversion Branch/Merge Graphical Display

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ul...@dominolaser.com>.
On Monday 01 August 2011, Tony Butt wrote:
> Some tools (noticeably TortoiseSVN and kdesvn) are quite capable of
> showing the branch history.

I wonder, what exactly do you mean with that? The reason I ask is because
there is nothing in SVN that provides you a mapping from trunk to all branches
that were made off trunk. The references only point from the branch to where
it was made from ("copy from..").

> I have found nothing which is capable of showing merge history. I would
> have thought that with the advent of svn:mergeinfo, that sufficient
> information is present to deduce the merges.

Try the

  [x] Include merged revisions

checkbox in TSVN's log view. If you merge, it also shows already merged
revisions with grey text.

> Since it has not been done, I can only assume that the task is
> non-trivial (certainly), probably difficult, and perhaps not practical.
> Is that correct?
>
> In any event, does anyone know of a tool which will provide such a
> history?

You already know about the mergeinfo property and how merge-tracking works
with SVN. This can be used to generate a merge history, too, and quite easily
so. I'm wondering what exactly you need...

Cheers!

Uli

Domino Laser GmbH, Fangdieckstra�e 75a, 22547 Hamburg, Deutschland
Gesch�ftsf�hrer: Thorsten F�cking, Amtsgericht Hamburg HR B62 932
Visit our website at http://www.dominolaser.com
Diese E-Mail einschlie�lich s�mtlicher Anh�nge ist nur f�r den Adressaten bestimmt und kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie den Absender umgehend, falls Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empf�nger sein sollten. Die E-Mail ist in diesem Fall zu l�schen und darf weder gelesen, weitergeleitet, ver�ffentlicht oder anderweitig benutzt werden.
E-Mails k�nnen durch Dritte gelesen werden und Viren sowie nichtautorisierte �nderungen enthalten. Domino Laser GmbH ist f�r diese Folgen nicht verantwortlich.

AW: Subversion Branch/Merge Graphical Display

Posted by Markus Schaber <m....@3s-software.com>.
Hi, Tony,

Von: Tony Butt [mailto:Tony.Butt@cea.com.au]

> Some tools (noticeably TortoiseSVN and kdesvn) are quite capable of
> showing the branch history. I have found nothing which is capable of
> showing merge history. I would have thought that with the advent of
> svn:mergeinfo, that sufficient information is present to deduce the
> merges.

AFAIK, SmartSVN can show mergeinfo, but I never tried it myself.

Best regards

Markus Schaber

___________________________
We software Automation.

3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
Markus Schaber | Developer
Memminger Str. 151 | 87439 Kempten | Germany | Tel. +49-831-54031-0 | Fax +49-831-54031-50

Email: m.schaber@3s-software.com | Web: http://www.3s-software.com
CoDeSys internet forum: http://forum.3s-software.com
Download CoDeSys sample projects: http://www.3s-software.com/index.shtml?sample_projects

Managing Directors: Dipl.Inf. Dieter Hess, Dipl.Inf. Manfred Werner | Trade register: Kempten HRB 6186 | Tax ID No.: DE 167014915

AW: Subversion Branch/Merge Graphical Display

Posted by "Stuempfig, Thomas" <th...@siemens.com>.
Try subeclipse.
You can rightclick on he rev and display the merge graph then.

It is still not trivoal since you just see the merge rev prop.

Regards
Thomas
Email sent from blackberry.