Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/06 00:43:40 UTC

[bigbang] The server is spliting pieces ...

Hi guys,

I tried to launch the server on bigbang branch (mvn clean install went
fine, no error, no nothing), and I get these errors :

           _                     _          ____  ____
          / \   _ __   __ _  ___| |__   ___|  _ \/ ___|
         / _ \ | '_ \ / _` |/ __| '_ \ / _ \ | | \___ \
        / ___ \| |_) | (_| | (__| | | |  __/ |_| |___) |
       /_/   \_\ .__/ \__,_|\___|_| |_|\___|____/|____/
               |_|

Exception in thread "main"
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error
creating bean with name 'configuration' defined in URL
[file:/home/elecharny/apacheds/bigbang/installers/apacheds-noarch/server.xml]:
Initialization of bean failed; nested exception is
org.springframework.beans.TypeMismatchException: Failed to convert
property value of type [java.lang.String] to required type
[java.io.File] for property 'workingDirectory'; nested exception is
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not retrieve File for class
path resource [example.com]: class path resource [example.com] cannot
be resolved to URL because it does not exist
Caused by: org.springframework.beans.TypeMismatchException: Failed to
convert property value of type [java.lang.String] to required type
[java.io.File] for property 'workingDirectory'; nested exception is
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not retrieve File for class
path resource [example.com]: class path resource [example.com] cannot
be resolved to URL because it does not exist
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not retrieve File
for class path resource [example.com]: class path resource
[example.com] cannot be resolved to URL because it does not exist
	at org.springframework.beans.propertyeditors.FileEditor.setAsText(FileEditor.java:91)
	at org.springframework.beans.TypeConverterDelegate.doConvertTextValue(TypeConverterDelegate.java:326)
	at org.springframework.beans.TypeConverterDelegate.doConvertValue(TypeConverterDelegate.java:310)
	at org.springframework.beans.TypeConverterDelegate.convertIfNecessary(TypeConverterDelegate.java:192)
	at org.springframework.beans.TypeConverterDelegate.convertIfNecessary(TypeConverterDelegate.java:138)
	at org.springframework.beans.BeanWrapperImpl.convertForProperty(BeanWrapperImpl.java:380)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.applyPropertyValues(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1105)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.populateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:861)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:421)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:251)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:156)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:248)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:160)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.preInstantiateSingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:287)
	at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:352)
	at org.apache.xbean.spring.context.ClassPathXmlApplicationContext.<init>(ClassPathXmlApplicationContext.java:161)
	at org.apache.xbean.spring.context.ClassPathXmlApplicationContext.<init>(ClassPathXmlApplicationContext.java:51)
	at org.apache.directory.server.Service.init(Service.java:74)
	at org.apache.directory.server.UberjarMain.main(UberjarMain.java:54)

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [bigbang] The server is spliting pieces ...

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On 10/6/07, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2007, at 5:46 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
> > Was working for me earlier.  David you're change essentially
> > removes the xbean based context factory.  Removing
> > it breaks this project rather fixing it for me :).  I guess there's
> > something wacky here.  Regardless we should use
> > the XBean contextFactory instead.
>
> I'm not sure what you are seeing, there are lots of xbean context
> factories.  I changed

You are right! My bad! I must have overlooked the package name.

-import org.apache.xbean.spring.context.ClassPathXmlApplicationContext;
> +import org.apache.xbean.spring.context.FileSystemXmlApplicationContext;

SNIP ...

I'm still wondering if workingDirectory is really supposed to be a dn.

The workingDirectory is the folder the server uses to layout it's partitions
and the
jdbm files that come with them.  Perhaps it should be named partitionFolder
avoid confusion?

Alex

Re: [bigbang] The server is spliting pieces ...

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 5, 2007, at 5:46 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Was working for me earlier.  David you're change essentially
> removes the xbean based context factory.  Removing
> it breaks this project rather fixing it for me :).  I guess there's
> something wacky here.  Regardless we should use
> the XBean contextFactory instead.

I'm not sure what you are seeing, there are lots of xbean context
factories.  I changed

-import org.apache.xbean.spring.context.ClassPathXmlApplicationContext;
+import org.apache.xbean.spring.context.FileSystemXmlApplicationContext;

which is definitely an xbean context factory, otherwise the
server.xml definitely would not work.  I verified that before my
change I got the same exception as elecharney starting the server
using the apacheds.sh script in installers/apacheds-noarch and that
after the change I could start the server and connect to it using
ldap studio.  The FileSystemXmlApplicationContext is the same one I
use in the geronimo plugin and in the itest in server-xml.  As I said
I don't understand why my change makes any difference but since it
fixed the problem and I could connect to the server afterwords it
seemed pretty  safe.

I'm still wondering if workingDirectory is really supposed to be a dn.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I think I fixed this in rev 582428, but I'm not sure why what I
changed should make any difference.

Is workingDirectory really supposed to be a dn rather than a file
system location?

thanks
david jencks