Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2019/07/11 09:15:08 UTC

CloudStack Kubernetes Provider

All,

Based on discussions from:

https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/issues/672
https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/issues/88

The Kubernetes project no longer support many cloud providers including the CloudStack one which was removed from the current/master tree already. For starters, I would like to have the old codebase moved/available via a repository under Apache CloudStack project (https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/tree/release-1.15/pkg/cloudprovider/providers/cloudstack).

One of the community contributors from SwissTxt Gregor Riepl (@onitake) have also offered to contribute their provider (which is already under the Apache v2.0 license) which they have based on the original provider: https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/issues/672#issuecomment-510353660

For this purpose I've requested a new repository with ASF-infra:

https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack-kubernetes-provider.git

PMCs - If Gregor wants to donate their changes based on the old/original provider to CloudStack, is there a formal donation process that he/swisstxt needs to be used or a simple pull request can be sent?

Any objections, feedback? Thanks.

Regards,

Rohit Yadav

Software Architect, ShapeBlue

https://www.shapeblue.com

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: CloudStack Kubernetes Provider

Posted by "Riepl, Gregor (SWISS TXT)" <Gr...@swisstxt.ch>.
Hi Rohit,

Three questions:

1. Would you be ok with one large PR from our Github repo? Since Git does not permit merging unrelated branches, I'd need to figure out a way to preserve history first. The alternative would be several PRs containing individual aspects of the code.

2. How should authorship information be handled? Do I need to collect a list of contributors for those parts that were taken from the old cloud provider? On the SWISS TXT side, only @joschi36 and myself contributed code. Should there be an AUTHORS file?

3. How should contributions be handled? Exclusively via PRs or would you give commit rights to @joschi36 and me?

I'm unfamiliar with the development process in Apache projects, so links to relevant documentation would also be helpful.

Regards,
Gregor

________________________________

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Thanks Will. Since there are no objections, I think we can simply ask contributors to send pull requests.

Gregor, feel free to send a PR with your work with multiple commits rebased on the master branch so the git history is not lost. Thanks.

Posted by Will Stevens <ws...@cloudops.com>.
I am fine with it...

Posted by "Riepl, Gregor (SWISS TXT)" <Gr...@swisstxt.ch>.
Hi Rohit,