Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Doug MacEachern <do...@pobox.com> on 1998/08/05 00:20:45 UTC

win32 makefile generator?

At one point, I thought there was a program shipping with apache to
generate .mak files for Win32 modules, was I wrong or did that go away?  Is
there any way currently to generate a makefile besides using developer studio?

-Doug

Re: win32 makefile generator?

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@pobox.com>.
At 03:56 PM 8/4/98 -0700, Alexei Kosut wrote:
>On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
>> Doug MacEachern wrote:
>> >
>> > At one point, I thought there was a program shipping with apache to
>> > generate .mak files for Win32 modules, was I wrong or did that go
away?  Is
>> > there any way currently to generate a makefile besides using developer
studio?

>> I had a program that generated the .mak's for Win32 modules, coz I got
>> bored of doing it manually. Various people insisted it was deleted after
>> a while, for reasons I never fully understood. NIH, I suspect. I didn't
>
>Um... no. It's still there.
>
>taz:~/apache-1.3/src/os/win32$ ls M*
>MakeModuleMak.cpp       MakeModuleMak.mak       Module.mak.tmpl
>
>It should be noted that it doesn't work; it generates MSVC 4.2 makefiles,
>and we're using 5.0 now, which requires both .mak and .dsp files
>(different .mak files than 4.2 used). The dependicies are also completley
>wrong, written as it was before we did the 1.3 directory reshuffling
>thing.

I see.

>I suspect it would take some work to get right.

Indeed!

>What I've usually done,
>IIRC, is just copy over one of the existing .mak/.dsp pairs and use Perl
>to do a find and replace on the name of the module. Then I open it with
>Visual Studio and let it fix whatever's wrong (save, export the makefile).

That's kinda what I had in mind for now.  Use an existing .mak for a
template and just have the perl module fill in $module_name and location
for ApacheCore.lib and include path for *.h.  If this can't be done easily
without have to go back into the studio and re-generating, I guess it's not
worth the time.

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@leland.Stanford.EDU>.
On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Doug MacEachern wrote:
> >
> > At one point, I thought there was a program shipping with apache to
> > generate .mak files for Win32 modules, was I wrong or did that go away?  Is
> > there any way currently to generate a makefile besides using developer studio?
>
> I had a program that generated the .mak's for Win32 modules, coz I got
> bored of doing it manually. Various people insisted it was deleted after
> a while, for reasons I never fully understood. NIH, I suspect. I didn't

Um... no. It's still there.

taz:~/apache-1.3/src/os/win32$ ls M*
MakeModuleMak.cpp       MakeModuleMak.mak       Module.mak.tmpl

It should be noted that it doesn't work; it generates MSVC 4.2 makefiles,
and we're using 5.0 now, which requires both .mak and .dsp files
(different .mak files than 4.2 used). The dependicies are also completley
wrong, written as it was before we did the 1.3 directory reshuffling
thing.

I suspect it would take some work to get right. What I've usually done,

-- Alexei Kosut <ak...@stanford.edu> <http://www.stanford.edu/~akosut/>

Re: win32 makefile generator?

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Doug MacEachern wrote:

> At one point, I thought there was a program shipping with apache to
> generate .mak files for Win32 modules, was I wrong or did that go away?  Is
> there any way currently to generate a makefile besides using developer studio?

I had a program that generated the .mak's for Win32 modules, coz I got
bored of doing it manually. Various people insisted it was deleted after
a while, for reasons I never fully understood. NIH, I suspect. I didn't
argue too hard coz it had done its thing, and I figured I could always
insist that those who wanted it blown away generated any new makefiles
:-)

No doubt it is in CVS somewhere.

Cheers,

Ben.

WE'RE RECRUITING! http://www.aldigital.co.uk/recruit/

Re: trouble with popen()

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.
> This might seem trivial, but I'm having problems popen()'ing (it returns
> NULL) either from a module or using PHP.
>
> Am I overlooking something? PHP is compiled in non-safe mode, but when I
> started trying to figure why PHP doesn't work I remember when I had
> problems doing that in my apache module..
>
> Using Apache 1.2.6/PHP 3.0.3/FreeBSD 2.2.7R

Do you mean the user-level popen() function in PHP?  It should work ok.
Are you sure you are not hitting a permission issue?  ie. if you try to
run the same command from the shell as your web server user id, does it
work?

-Rasmus

trouble with popen()

Posted by "Mike S." <ph...@ix.netcom.com>.
Hello,

This might seem trivial, but I'm having problems popen()'ing (it returns
NULL) either from a module or using PHP.

Am I overlooking something? PHP is compiled in non-safe mode, but when I
started trying to figure why PHP doesn't work I remember when I had
problems doing that in my apache module..

Using Apache 1.2.6/PHP 3.0.3/FreeBSD 2.2.7R

Thanks in advance,
Yevgeny

Re: win32 makefile generator?

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@pobox.com>.
At 04:20 PM 8/4/98 -0600, Marc Slemko wrote:
>On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Doug MacEachern wrote:
>
>> At one point, I thought there was a program shipping with apache to
>> generate .mak files for Win32 modules, was I wrong or did that go away?  Is
>> there any way currently to generate a makefile besides using developer
studio?

>Not AFAIK.
>
>There was a program to make the .dsp files or something that was used for
>the initial conversion I think.

hmm, well, if somebody could tweak the Makefile.nt to install
ApacheCore.lib and the *.h files, I could put together a perl module to
generate a simple makefile, based on what developer studio spits out.
Wouldn't be much, but better than nothing.  Actually, does ApacheCore.lib
need to be installed?  I've always done this:
Project -> Add to Project -> Files
        Filename: [C:\Apache\ApacheCore.lib]
Is there another way?

I think we need to get Ralf a win32 box to port apxs :-)

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.