Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2005/07/28 13:02:29 UTC

Resume Plugin - license question

Ferdinand and I started a Resume plugin for the ApacheCon presentation.
I would like to commit this to our whiteboard but want to verify the
license position. It seems just fine to me but would like oversight from
the PMC.

The text of the license is minimal and is copied in full below. It seems
to me that as long as I add the license to the schemas directory of the
plugin we'll be OK. Can someone please confirm/deny this.

Text of license follows (see
http://xmlresume.sourceforge.net/license/index.html ):

The XML Résumé Library copyrighted, © 2000-2002 by Sean Kelly. All
rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

    1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
    2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE
LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS
INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF
THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Re: Resume Plugin - license question

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Ferdinand and I started a Resume plugin for the ApacheCon presentation.
> I would like to commit this to our whiteboard but want to verify the
> license position. It seems just fine to me but would like oversight from
> the PMC.

Well i hope that this does not sound like an authoritative
statement on this topic, because i am not.

> The text of the license is minimal and is copied in full below. It seems
> to me that as long as I add the license to the schemas directory of the
> plugin we'll be OK. Can someone please confirm/deny this.

It seems like a standard disclaimer and the license
does not impose restrictions that go beyond the
Apache License 2, so yes fine to include it as you say.

They don't ask for attribution, so no need to add to
our top-level NOTICE file.

David