Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/04 17:10:29 UTC

Re: Blueprint schema blocks nested static class names

Hi Jeremy

 > Hi,
 >
 > The blueprint.xsd is defined by the OSGi Alliance, so this would need
 > to be changed in the spec. The Blueprint spec doesn't mention inner
 > classes so there's nothing AFAICT in the spec that excludes the use of
 > them - so arguably you could open a bug at the OSGi Alliance [1]. It's
 > worth discussing first on the developers list [2].

I can not post to the Alliance dev list, I've received a failure report
saying I'm not allowed to post. Does one have to represent an Alliance
member to post to that list ?

 > [1] www.osgi.org/bugzilla
 > [2] http://www.osgi.org/MailLists/HomePage
 >
 > Cheers,
 > Jeremy

P.S Here is copy of the rejected post, perhaps you can forward it to
that list ?

Hello All,

I've recently reported an issue at the Apache Aries dev list [1] to do
with the
Blueprint schema blocking the nested static class names and I'm moving
the discussion to this list as recommended by Jeremy Hughes.

The fix proposed at [1] is to relax the schema for Java (or I guess
other language VMs) to validate the class names as opposed to
restricting the names at the higher level in Blueprint schema.

We came across the issue while working on migrating the application
including many code-generated nested classes to Blueprint.

Any objections to me opening a bug at [2] ?

Thanks, Sergey

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/aries-dev/201204.mbox/ajax/%3C4F7A03DE.4060603%40gmail.com%3E
[2] https://www.osgi.org/bugzilla/

Re: Blueprint schema blocks nested static class names

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan
On 23/05/12 15:14, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 22, 2012 05:51:10 PM Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
>> I've attached a simple patch to
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARIES-855
>>
>> Let me know please if you think it can be committed now or expect a bit
>> more work done on it.
>
> Looks fine by me.  Commit away!
>

>> Right now I'm thinking that retrying once only in case of the bean load
>> failure is reasonable. Introducing a system property telling the catch
>> block to fail immediately without a retry might make sense, but I was
>> not sure it was really needed.
>
> The single retry is fine to me.   I think the use of nested classes in this
> case is fairly rare and likely just a single level anyway.  If someone does
> hit it, they can log another issue and we can re-look at it.

Indeed, that sounds reasonable. It's difficult to imagine at the moment
the case where a deeply nested static class needs to be deployed, so
having to reiterate over all the package segments seems unnecessary
right now, but we can easily update the code to manage more
sophisticated cases if really needed

I've merged, r1341886.

Thanks, Sergey

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: Blueprint schema blocks nested static class names

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi All

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.