Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/22 21:04:14 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Kafka-0.7.0-incubating (candidate 7)

Hi,

This is the seventh candidate for the first incubator release for Apache
Kafka, version 0.7.0-incubating. Based on the feedback from the general
incubator list (
http://markmail.org/search/?q=kafka+0.7.0#query:kafka%200.7.0%20list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.general+page:1+mid:fiatvda3uyx2lbzb+state:results),
the only changes in this candidate are the DISCLAIMER, NOTICE and LICENSE
files.

It also fixes the following issues:
http://people.apache.org/~nehanarkhede/kafka-0.7.0-incubating-candidate-7/RELEASE-NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Nov 28th, 9 am

Note that we are voting upon the source (revision), binaries are provided
for convenience.

Source and binary files:
http://people.apache.org/~nehanarkhede/kafka-0.7.0-incubating-candidate-7/

The SVN revision to be voted upon:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/kafka/branches/0.7@1205122

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/kafka/KEYS

Note that the Incubator PMC needs to vote upon the release after a
successful PPMC vote before any release can be made official.

Thanks,
Neha

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Kafka-0.7.0-incubating (candidate 7)

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
+1

Checksum and signature match for both tarballs, as does recursive diff
of source in r1205122. Checked LICENSE, NOTICE, and DISCLAIMER and all
seem to be in order.

Thanks for all your work rolling these releases, Neha. -C

P.S. As it turns out, source releases are required:
http://apache.org/dev/release.html#what-must-every-release-contain

the last paragraph of this section speaks directly to it:
http://apache.org/dev/release.html#what

I read this to exclude binary-only releases, not releases stripped of
all build artifacts. That was mistaken in the Incubator PMC's
interpretation. In any event: thanks for the additional work.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.
+1. Downloaded, verified keys, ran tests, looked at distribution.
This is ready to go.

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

-jay

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
This is my fault. I advised a quick vote in this forum, in case the
IPMC required further changes.

The incubator is supposed to demonstrate to projects how working in
the ASF enriches development. Some procedures must be followed to
ensure that the project is developed in the open and that the ASF's
legal liability is limited. Ensuring that every project feel the pain
of compliance acutely is not its purpose.

The Kafka community has evaluated this release several times, pulling
it back more than once to fix bugs and packaging. It has reached
consensus. The vote on general@ did not fail because this has been
"rushed", but because 1) you and I didn't fully apprehend the
mechanics of our licensing and distribution requirements and 2)
members of the incubator PMC use a definition of "source release" that
diverges from our experience.

Having fixed the feedback from general@, this artifact is ready for
resubmission. If an IPMC member has additional feedback, that should
not require an additional week of voting. Every step of this long
process has been taken in good faith. Out of reciprocity and mercy, I
felt it's time to move this along. -C

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <ad...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.