Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Sam Carleton <sc...@miltonstreet.com> on 2004/09/13 04:30:32 UTC

sa-learn & Maildir

I am new to SpamAssassin and have collected quite a bit of mail to
send to sa-learn.  The problem is that all my mail is in Maildirs
not in mboxes.  How might I go about teaching SpamAssassin?

While I am asking, the mail sits on one computer and the
SpamAssassin gateway is sitting on another.  I was going to simply
tar up the mail and copy it to the gateway machine, is there a
better way?

Sam

Re: sa-learn & Maildir

Posted by David Jiménez Domínguez <dj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sam..

I had the same problem, but Now I use to use the sa-learn command on
each directory (cur, new and tmp) to learn Spam and Ham.

Re: sa-learn & Maildir

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 10:30 PM 9/12/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>I am new to SpamAssassin and have collected quite a bit of mail to
>send to sa-learn.  The problem is that all my mail is in Maildirs
>not in mboxes.  How might I go about teaching SpamAssassin?

sa-learn supports maildirs just fine.

By default sa-learn assumes that if a name passed is a directory, it must
be a maildir and will learn all the mail in it.

However, be sure to pass names to sa-learn, don't use redirection.

         ie: sa-learn --ham /home/joe/maildirham
         not: sa-learn --ham < /home/joe/maildirham

Unlike spamassassin, sa-learn understands the idea of being passed
filenames so redirection, while supported, merely limits sa-learns abilities.

The only issue is you're going to have to generate separate ham and spam
directories, but that's not too hard..

>While I am asking, the mail sits on one computer and the
>SpamAssassin gateway is sitting on another.  I was going to simply
>tar up the mail and copy it to the gateway machine, is there a
>better way?

That's the way I would do it. In theory you could do some kind of SMB or
NFS share, but that seems like way too much work.