Posted to wave-dev@incubator.apache.org by Pablo Ojanguren <pa...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/20 13:21:55 UTC

SwellRT update

Hi all,

My apologies for the late update on SwellRT. I hope this email could help
to clarify the ongoing discussion.

As summary SwellRT objective is to make Wave generic...

Instead of Wave Conversations it provides generic Collaborative Objects.
Instead of a GUI it provides an API.

*Current status:*

*JavaScript Beta client*

   - Based on the original Web client.
   - No dependencies with GWT UI components.
   - No dependencies with JSNI thanks to JSInterop.
   - It allows to mutate and sync Javascript objects (ES6 Proxies).
   - This implementation is expected to ease generation of Android and iOS
   clients.
   - Basic features are in place but some others are still not migrated
   from alpha.

Check out README[1] and Wiki[2] for usage details. To dive into the code,
see package *org.swellrt.beta,* and the classes  *ServiceFrontendEntryPoint*
and *SObjectRemote*

*Collaborative Editor Component*

Task to provide the Wave text editor as a separated component, so
eventually it could be replaced. So far, it exposes following features as
API

   - Annotations
   - User presence

Currently I am debugging it for mobile browsers.
Widgets API coming soon.

Package org.swellrt.beta.client.js.editor [3]

*Federation with Matrix.org*

Testing the proposed implementation [4] from GSoC'16 student. We would like
to provide a PR asap.

*JetPad*
We are developing SwellRT together with a real application of it, jetpad.net
[5] a collaborative text editor.

*Google Sumer of Code 2017*
We are also participating in GSoC17 thanks to the support of Universidad
Complutense de Madrid and Berkman Klein Center (Harvard)
Please encourage any students to send proposals, not limited to our
suggestions [6]. Deadline is April 3.
For example, we are considering a proposal of e2e encryption based on [7]

*Wave + SwellRT*
I guess the question to answer in the community is whether SwellRT can be
used as is, or adapted, or part of it, to provide a new Wave UI.

Thank you,

Pablo

[1] https://github.com/P2Pvalue/swellrt/blob/master/README.md
[2] https://github.com/P2Pvalue/swellrt/wiki
[3]
https://github.com/P2Pvalue/swellrt/tree/master/wave/src/main/java/org/swellrt/beta/client/js/editor
[4] https://github.com/Waqee/incubator-wave/blob/master/MATRIX-FEDERATION.md
[5] https://jetpad.net/
[6] https://cyber.harvard.edu/gsoc/SwellRT
[7] http://www.tara.tcd.ie/bitstream/handle/2262/68179/paper.pdf?sequence=1

Re: SwellRT update

Posted by Evan Hughes <wi...@apache.org>.
Swellrt still relies on the gui side though, the OT transform layer made in
the server is exported through the gwt. So it's not just dumping the client
side code and making a rest API. A significant portion of code will have to
be written in a client side language like typescript or optionally we
export that java package as an import and keep the gwt java to us transform.

I think we should aim for seperating out the client library that swell uses
so the the server is purged of all client code.

Re: SwellRT update

Posted by Yuri Z <ve...@gmail.com>.

Re: SwellRT update

Posted by Zachary Yaro <zm...@gmail.com>.