Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Sergey Kozlov <sk...@gridgain.com> on 2015/12/09 13:28:49 UTC

ignite-osgi-karaf on maven repository

Hi Igniters.

I tried to create a staging url from latest ignite-1.5 branch and found
that ignite-osgi-karaf has following file
*https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheignite-1207/org/apache/ignite/ignite-osgi-karaf/1.5.0-b2/ignite-osgi-karaf-1.5.0-b2-features.xml
<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheignite-1207/org/apache/ignite/ignite-osgi-karaf/1.5.0-b2/ignite-osgi-karaf-1.5.0-b2-features.xml>*
 where <feature>ignite-hibernate</feature> defined.

I'm a bit concerning that actually we don't have this module in Apache
Maven repository due license reasons (it's LGPL) and it's available only by
compiling from sources.

Could someone confirm is that ok or not.

--
Sergey Kozlov

Re: ignite-osgi-karaf on maven repository

Posted by Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org>.
It's a very valid question, indeed.

A Karaf feature is simply a shortcut to install modules in the OSGi
container, so I don't see a problem with the ignite-hibernate feature
itself. We do not distribute Hibernate.

However, where I do see a possible risk is with the ignite-all feature,
which includes ignite-hibernate. Very few (if no) users will actually
install ignite-all, but those that do will be dragging Hibernate into their
runtime environment.

Having said that, I still think it's not a problem because we do not modify
Hibernate, therefore we're not subject to the "virality" of LGPL.

But just in case, I will take ignite-hibernate out of ignite-all, so that
the user has to take an explicit step to install ignite-hibernate. I will
also add a NOTICE to the feature:info for ignite-all and ignite-hibernate.

Thanks,

*Raúl Kripalani*
PMC & Committer @ Apache Ignite, Apache Camel | Integration, Big Data and
Messaging Engineer